The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Let's Get This Party Started

Allow me to present the first of thirty skeins of sock yarn that will be won in the SUPER DUPER FABULOUS EXTRAVAGANZA CONTEST.

This is Cabin Cove Mercantile's "April's Showers." YES! It's named after ME. ME ME ME ME ME. Dave, The Monet Of Yarn, dyed this yarn specifically for me for my birfday. Am I honored or what? I am. Is he the greatest guy in the world? He is. "April's Showers" (teehee, MY yarn) is 450 yards of fingering weight delightfulness, 80% merino wool and 20% nylon. Dave dyed two skeins, one for me and one for the contest. And that's it. No more April's Showers will be made again. So this is kinda like limited edition yarn, suitable for framing. Or knitting socks. Your choice, should you win.

I think it's safe to say we're off to a lovely start in the SUPER DUPER FABULOUS EXTRAVAGANZA CONTEST.

In honor of the contest I am knitting socks. This is Fearless Fiber's sportweight yarn in the colorway "Chocolate Pink Cherry."

These are my "zen" socks for when I feel like doing completely mindless knitting. Nothing but rounds and rounds of stockinette stitch on US 2 1/2 needles. Err, pay no attention to the tiny amount of yarn left. I do have more. We had a tiny cutting incident when I was putting the skein on my swifter.

And finally, some tragic news. Today I received a package from the great state of Maine. And included in that package was the ultimate sacrifce that one knitter can make for another.

My dear, dear friend Sheepish Annie had herself flattened, bronzed and molded into a knitting needle / stitch gauge marker just for me. This picture in no way does justice to the beauty of this handy tool (formerly known as Sheepish Annie). I am incredibly saddened at the loss of such a wonderfully thoughtful person. However, now the Big Fluffy Kitty will be MINE!

6 Comments:

  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Kudos to Dave on the custom yarn!

    You really want the Big Fluffy Kitty, don't you? ;o)

     
  • At 1:10 AM, Blogger Pearls Mother said…

    Dave is such a sweety to spoil you so.
    I love the idea for the competition and I've just sent my donation to the Aussie office of MSF.
    yes, I've emailed you and Stephanie.
    Lindy

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You'll have to fight me for Big Fluffy Kitty and I am closer to her than you ;)

    Yarn named after you, Yarn Harlot commenting on your blog; good gawd woman, you are famous!

    I love the color of the sock you are making.

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger limedragon :-: Harriet said…

    What a great contest and cause. My mind boggles at the thought of giving away 30 skeins of sock yarn... and that one above is purty!!

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    You're a sick woman, Ms. April. Smushed-up Sheepish Annie indeed! But we still love you. Possibly this is WHY we love you.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    You wouldn't want the Big Fluffy Kitty tonight! She has been in full-on "howl mode" for an hour. No real reason...she's just chatting. Sheesh!

    Being flattened and bronzed is a small sacrifice for such a good blog buddy! And I can now fit into last year's jeans! Yay for flattening!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home