The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Imagine

The Friday FO event that was started by Tami is frequented by a number of crocheters who make amigurumi. Tami herself is an amigurumi genius. I *love* amigurumi. I mean LOVE. Which isn't surprising given that I adore stuffed animals to begin with. So of course when I check out everyone's Friday FO's I come across a lot of supremely cute critters.

Five years ago I took an amigurumi class that was offered at a retreat I went on. I'm not sure whether it was my beginner crochet skills, the pattern I was working from or what, but frankly the cat I made looked more like it belonged permanently in the litter box. I decided then and there that I couldn't create adorable little creatures. Not to mention, I am well known for my dislike of "fiddly stuff." But I really, really wanted to make them!

Enter the Tiny Whale!

Not to toot my own horn, but can you stand the cuteness? Look at the itty bitty whale! I heart this little guy. And he was dead easy to make. OK, maybe I had to rip out a few rounds here and there because I wasn't paying attention as closely as I should but in the end - a whale!

Fortunately for me, I stumbled across Planet June's designs on Ravelry. Her patterns are so well written with lots of photos that even someone as fiddly stuff challenged as me can make them. I was able to finish this guy in under an hour although it took me two days to find flippin' eyes for him so he was blind for a bit. Now I'm working on a pig and having a blast. I'm so accustomed to being on auto pilot when I'm knitting or crocheting that it's a welcome change to actually have to pay attention to something. Plus with all the pieces you need to make, it seems to feel more like you're really creating something. As opposed to banging out just another hat. FUN! Now let's just cross our fingers that once I have to sew all the pieces on that I don't make a major screw up. Or I may end up making Tiny Whales for the rest of my life.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    He is cute. Stuff him with catnip and you have a whole new cottage (apartment?) industry! :o)

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger K A said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger K A said…

    it's been 5 years? Wow...and I think if you put catnip in the whales...uh huh! Kitty Toys!!!
    -Kerry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home