The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Like Riding A Bike

I am having another nasty bout of carpal tunnel for some unknown reason *cough*too much knitting*cough*. It's been getting worse *cough*too much knitting*cough* over the last week or so and yesterday I finally gave up uhh .. knitting. Just for a little while of course. Unfortunately the book I'm reading right now is kinda slow going and oh. my. god. I was all out of movies. Thankfully I have another hobby. I affectionately call it "Ripping Out Seams".

About five years ago I was off work on disability because I had misplaced my mind. So I decided to teach myself how to quilt. The fact that I had no idea how to sew and didn't even own a sewing machine was a minor issue. After all, I had a kickass iron and a great ironing board and everyone knows quilting involves ironing. And who among us wouldn't agree that learning to sew 1/4 inch seams while heavily medicated is some capital F fun?

The Quilting Obsession lasted about a year. And then I packed everything away because I really did hate those frickin' quarter inch seams. Until today. And apparently, those little seams aren't quite as hard to manage when you're not swallowing handfuls of pharmaceuticals. Huh.

Mind you, this isn't exactly an heirloom quilt and it's only a buncha 6 inch blocks but it did keep me busy for like 5 hours. Mainly because I gave away 95% of my fabric stash (and it was QUITE the stash) and it took me forever to find a color scheme I even remotely liked. And as Susan, who is the World's Greatest Quilter, would tell you, there's not enough contrast. But that's OK because DeeDee likes it and it's going to be a quilt for her.

Now if someone could just tell me what the hell I was planning to make with all these blocks five years ago I'll be on my quilting way.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Personally, I think that if you like it, go for it. Who cares if "there's not enough contrast"?

    Nice sewing, btw.

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Personally, I'd need to be swallowing many, many handfuls of pharmaceuticals to even consider that much sewing! I think your quilt is beautiful.

    I believe your plan was to make those squares into a quilt for me :-)

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Placemats? Pillows? Bags? Any of the above might work for quilt squares. People are also willing to purchase premade squares in case you suddenly had the urge to open another Etsy store...

    I think they look lovely. Much better than my hastily aborted quilting attempts!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home