The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Finished Objects - Episode One

And thus begins the parade of finished objects. I figure I've got enough F.O.'s to get me through a week of blogging and then it's back to the Antics O' Andy and boring tales of my life.

First up, my lone pair of socks for the Summer Of Socks '08. I'm not even sure if I finished these in time for them to qualify as a pair of Summer Of Socks socks. Which is rather embarrassing since they were knit with worsted weight yarn. I got sort of stalled on the foot of the second one. Anyway ... these are the Horcrux Socks by Susan Lawrence. I had no idea what the name Horcrux was in reference to when I started these but I've now been informed it's some kind of Harry Potter thing. I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Worsted in the colorway "I've Lost The Ball Band And Have No Idea So Let's Go with Green." It's a great pattern and although I usually give away most of my knitting, these are gonna be for ME. Mainly because they're the only pair of socks I've ever knitted that actually fit the way I wanted them to. Next ...

Is it beginning to seem a lot like Christmas to you? I spent most of the month of August pretending it was December. Not only because we were having a Christmas Knitalong at the store but because it was August and it was hot. And I've since discovered that I *really* like making Christmas stockings. You get all the fun of making regular socks (turning the heel, the Kitchener stitch) but they go fast cuz they're in worsted weight and you only need to make one! I think I'm really on to something here, like a Major Knitting Breakthrough. This pattern is A Fair Isle Christmas Stocking from Lisa Knits. It's not a free pattern but it comes with three designs that you can mix and match so it's a pretty good deal. I've already started a second stocking which would be close to being finished if Amazon.com's used bookseller would kindly hurry the heck up and mail me my "1000 Knitted Motifs."

That concludes today's parade, tomorrow ... A SCARF. Try to contain your excitement.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:41 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I think that's why the Sockies are so popular: you make just one and it goes by so quickly (bacause it's tiny).

    Nice knitting!

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    The Horcrux socks look great. I keep meaning to make those but I haven't been too finishy about socks, lately. Like for the last year. Er.

    Your Fair Isle blows me away. MUST improve my skills. Meanwhile, I'll just admire yours :-)

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Very nice!!! You know...I think that the whole Christmas stocking thing should have been on my summer list of Very Important Things To Do. I could do one sock. I don't know why I never thought of that...

    Although the Horcrux socks would probably have been a nice thing to do, too. They came out great!

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Valerie took the words right out of my mouth (give them back, Valerie)! I have been meaning to make those socks, have the pattern and everything; however this does not seem to be the year of sock knitting for me. I have not completed a single sock all year!

    Love your socks and the stocking is beautiful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home