The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, October 06, 2008

It's My Mom's Fault

My mother was a master seamstress. She was never actually employed in that capacity but she could sew like no one I have ever known. If it required fabric, she could make it. I still have a winter coat she made me oh ... 15 years ago. Fully lined of course. I mean, who would actually sew a winter coat? She was the consummate perfectionist. No two pieces of fabric were sewn together unless they were pinned AND basted first.

One of the great disappointments of my mother's life was that I didn't inherit her "sewing gene." Lord knows I tried. That lovely Holly Hobbie bag I made in 8th grade Home Ec was a wonder to behold. And of course there was the dress I made when I was 25 that could have doubled as a circus tent. Another major success. But more often than not, when Mom said, "Wanna go to the fabric store?" I would cringe inside.

Eventually I learned to quilt. We shall not discuss how long it took me to learn to sew in a straight line. And even when I did, I still heard my Mom's voice admonishing me to just "try a little bit harder."

Mom's gone now, as some of you know. And apparently I did inherit a bit of the sewing gene after all.

The Bug Wallet, complete with coordinating lining and INTERFACING. I'm even gonna put a SNAP on it. Yeah, I need to go back to work.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a cute little buggy wallet!

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    With well placed motif and everything! Very nice, April.

    PS - My word verification looks like the lolspeak version of "death to quaaludes": defqlau

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger yarnpiggy said…

    Very nice -- I still can't sew a straight line!

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Cute!!!

    If you send me your resume I'll pass it on to companies near you...

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    So cute!

    See! You did get that gene. It just took a little time to wake up.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Awwww...love that little buggy wallet! That is the sort of thing that can brighten your day, right? I sometimes marvel at the genes I inherited from Mommy Sheep. The little abilities crop up at the oddest of times. I expect to start cleaning things any day now...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home