The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Bee Ess Jay

The first, definitely not the last. The ever popular Baby Surprise Jacket by ol' Liz Zimmermann. This is such a great pattern I can fully understand why it's so loved. Miles of garter stitch but enough going on with the increases and decreases that you sort of have to pay attention. I can sorta pay attention. Sorta.

I used a small part of my mountain of Rowan Pure Wool DK. Machine washable, affordable, tons o' colors, how can you go wrong? I did this up using US 5's because I like a finer gauge for baby clothes. So it came out a lot smaller than I expected (think going home from the hospital size) but since it's not destined for anyone in particular does it matter? There are a few mistakes and a few things I'll do differently on Version 2 (which has already been cast on for) but overall, big fun as the Yarn Harlot would say.

In other knitting news I'm also working on Haiku from Knitty. This is almost as fun as the BSJ. It's knit side to side so all you have to do at the end is insert the sleeves. And weave in ends. Always gotta weave in those ends. I'm using Rowan's All Seasons Cotton for that little number. Pics soon.

And last, but certainly not least, it is my dear friend Valerie's birthday. Do go over to her marvellous blog and wish her a very Happy Birthday. I, of course, am a day late and a dollar short getting her giftie to her but tomorrow, Val, I promise. Happy, happy birthday, Val!

7 Comments:

  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Is that an American dollar or a Canadian dollar? ;o)

    The BSJ looks wonderful and I agree with you on the finer gauge for wee little wear.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Love the BSJ! It really is a surprise every time. I think...I've never actually knitted one.

    It is also my understanding that babies are rather small. Much smaller than I thought they was. Small stuff seems to work with them. Which makes me wonder why everyone makes such a fuss about labor...

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, Goodie...

    I am going to be an auntie, sorta. My daughter's best friend is preggers. Now I can knit for babies! And I have your sweater
    ideas from which to choose. Lucky me!

    xoxo
    agatha's gran

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Dana said…

    Hi April! Thanks for your kind words and if there was any way I could get a kitten to California, I would! Will you be in Virginia anytime soon? :) Dana

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a pretty Bee Ess Jay! I knit the adult version of the Haiku and hated it, but have seen the child's version and love it! I think Clover might need one. Just one more thing to add to the queue

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the baby sweaters. You are tempting me to try something new again!

    Cindy

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Awww, thanks April!!

    The BSJ is very cute. I am getting more tempted to try one, even though I'm not a big garter stitch fan.

    The Haiku, though, I'm definitely doing. It's already in my Ravelry queue!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home