The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

If You Go ...

... to hell, and I certainly hope you don't, you will notice three things.

  1. Grateful Dead CD's are played 24/7.
  2. There are no elastic waistbands.
  3. Hemp is the only thing to knit with.

As I mentioned yesterday I bought a skein of hemp to make soap socks or whatever the heck you call them. Now I had been advised previously that hemp was much easier to work with if you soaked it in water first. But all I was making was a stupid little bag, not a three piece suit. How hard could it be?

Well for all you "tight" knitters out there, I have found your cure. Knit with hemp. If you should even tug just a little on your yarn, the next row will be like forcing your needle through stainless steel simply to knit a stitch. I was finally knitting so loosely the damn needles were falling out of the stitches. Now there's a trick, I'll tell ya. I had holes so big you could drive a semi through them. It was a bad scene.

What makes it even worse is that someone at the yarn store designed and knit a beautiful market bag out of the same stuff and it's GORGEOUS. I can't even knit 2 inches. So apparently it's easy for some people to knit with hemp, just not me.

And because I spent all night trying to bend hemp to my will I have no pictures other than the usual. Andy. Sleeping.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They look so sweet and innocent when they're asleep.

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Note to self: take hemp off the "must give that a try" list. Thank you for boldly going where I should never, ever go!

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    Awwww, he's adorable! I'm glad to know that I can abandon any guilt at not being a trendy knitter due to not being interested in knitting with hemp.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh no, I have the yarn for the Market Bag! I knit loose so will try it anyways. Yikes, there will be alot of complaining this week-end at the KAL! You'll be the one smiling at us from the corner comfy chair....

     
  • At 3:39 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    Dear Andy
    I think you are gorgeous
    Do you want to move to Australia by any chance?
    purrs and chin snuzzles
    Ms Sophie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home