The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A Word To The Wise

Learn from my mistakes, Grasshopper. Learn.

Never, EVER, have two lace scarves going on at the same time. Especially if one scarf has 41 stitches and the other has 51. Because inevitably, you will be at the end of a row on the scarf that has 51 stitches and you will count them. And you will say to yourself, "OH MY GOD, where did that extra 10 stitches COME FROM?"

Then you will look carefully at the pattern and be unable to see where you went wrong. But the scarf is a gift and how can you give someone a scarf with such a glaring error even if you can't see it? So you will tink back a row. And you will drop a stitch. And you will count. And you will say, "OK, I'm getting somewhere, I'm only 9 stitches off now."

Then you tink two more rows. Drop another stitch. Count. "Ah, 8 stitches off, getting closer."

But now you are frustrated. You start wildly ripping. And after you've ripped out 10 rows you finally freakin' realize you're ripping for no good reason. So you start knitting again on row 3 of the chart because that is where you think you are.

And you get to the end of the row and realize that you were supposed to knit row 5.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Oh man. I feel your pain because I've been doing the SAME FREAKING THING!!!! I just unnecessarily frogged, and screwed up, about 6 rows of some rib and cable mitts because the lace scarf I was working on mixed me all up. bah. Let's go get drunk!

     
  • At 3:32 AM, Blogger Bells said…

    April, April, April. That is such a me thing to do. Is is the painkillers??? Can you do a Julie and blame the drugs????

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Was one of those scarves Faina? I haven't picked mine up in ages. I'm a bad knitalonger! Good luck getting back on track.

     
  • At 5:57 AM, Blogger Heide said…

    OMG! I thought I heard a sonic boom yeserday evening, but maybe it was a scream of frustration echoing up from the south. What a terrible, terrible knitting tragedy. I will definately NOT knit two lace shawls at the same time.

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I'd definitely chalk it up to the pain meds. Not your fault at all.

    Sorry it happened, though.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger aija said…

    Hehehee... I'm so afraid of lace, no place to hide my mistakes!!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said…

    oh that is just awful! I'd blame the drugs!

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Maybe it's time to knit a sock. ;^)

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I'm sitting here having a stroke trying to figure out where two stitches went on a basic feather and fan pattern. I have no excuse at all. I'm just lace-challenged.

    I'd say that knitting two lace projects at once means you get a do-over without loss of points. Or dignity.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home