The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Pairing Up

Hi! It's me! Just thought I'd pop in with a rant and some pictures. First rant, then pics.

My rant today concerns my nemesis, Comcast Cable. I hate the cable company. Oh, how I hate the cable company. However, over the years I have come to accept the fact that if I do not send them 80 billion dollars a month I won't be able to watch American Idol.

As some of you may be aware, I am a little couch bound these days. My tiny television and I have become quite good friends. So you can imagine my dismay when I turned it on at noon today to find out what Tad would say now that he knows Krystal's baby is really his and not Adam's and was faced with nothing more than a blank screen. And through my Percocet induced haze realized that I must once again do battle with the evil forces at Comcast.

Now I'm not saying I am all that good at paying my bills on time. But I KNEW I had paid the cable bill because I had dropped it off myself, not two weeks ago, in the night drop box. So I called the euphemistically named Comcast Customer Service.

I firmly believe everyone deserves a job in this great country. Whether they do it well or not is another story. And I realize that not everyone speaks English as their first language in this great country. Which is why, when you call Comcast, you get to choose which dialect you'd like to converse in. I chose English. If I'd chosen Spanish, I could have told the operator not to put cheese on my hamburger but that's about it. If I'd chosen Chinese, I could have wished the operator a Happy New Year but I still wouldn't have gotten my T.V. problem solved. Needless to say, my friendly Customer Service Rep was not terribly conversant in the Queen's English.

I politely explained to the operator that, although I had paid my bill, there seemed to be a problem with my service.

CSR - When you pay bill?
Me - March 4th. I paid by Western Union Money Order. I left it in the night box.
CSR - Why you pay Western Union for your Comcast bill?
Me - I didn't. I paid with a Western Union MONEY ORDER.
CSR - If you pay Western Union Money Order we don't know what account to post to. Comcast have millions accounts.
Me - I wrote my account number on the MONEY ORDER.
CSR - When you pay bill?
Me - March 4th.
CSR - Today March 19th.
Me - I know.
CSR - Something wrong.

So tomorrow I will hobble down to the Comcast office and show them my receipt for the $93.71 I paid them. In the meantime, Mr. CSR has kindly turned my service back on as a courtesy. But he also warned me that if Comcast does not receive my payment by tomorrow he'll have to turn my service back off. Which might actually be a blessing.

Now pics. When I first started knitting socks, oh eight months ago, I promised myself that I would never fall victim to Second Sock Syndrome. Ha! Yeah sure, April. So while I've been on the couch I've been catching up.


Two Chocolate Pink Cherry Socks

Two Koigu Socks

Note - my experiment to see if I could get two socks out of two different balls of Koigu did not go so well. The contrast toe on the second sock had to be about an inch longer than on the first sock. Next time I'll make the legs shorter. Or knit the leg and the foot in one color for the first sock and in the other color for the second sock. Does that make sense? Pass me the pain killers.

Almost Two Socks

I really wish I'd done the baby cable rib on the instep of this sock as well as on the leg. Oh well, live and learn. And don't you love how the angle I took this picture at makes it look like this is a sock for Big Foot? Back to the couch!

7 Comments:

  • At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For this exact reason I now pay all of my bills online. To much stuff gets lost in the mail and mail sorting.

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    We hates Comcast, we does, my precious. We uses satellite now. We pays much less money.

    Congratulations on the switch from the Vicodin to the Percocet - much easier on the tummy.

    Love the contrasting heels/toes/cuffs on the socks!

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Knittymama said…

    Ugh, we have the same problem with Earthlink. The last time we had to call them it was a 2 hour phone call! Insane.

    Gald you're catching up on the socks. They look great!

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Heide said…

    Corporations who outsource their customer service jobs should be fined.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Renee said…

    Hi April, sorry to hear that you've been sofa bound. And I can totally sympathize with your Comcast problems - I've been having problems with Sprint, and every time I call, they give me a different story. I am happy to report, however, that every time I call, they also have taken money off my bill, so that's not a bad thing, I suppose...

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    We hate ComCast.

    Lovin' those socks, though. :D

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    One might argue that NO one in America speaks the Queen's English, but..

    I like your socks. The Koigu toe differences won't matter inside a shoe.. and your feet will still feel happy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home