The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What I've Learned

My, hasn't this been a fun week? I've learned a number of things in the past "not even 48" hours. Allow me to share.

1) Apparently the law that prohibits being on crutches AND having intestinal difficulties at the same time has not been passed. However, you will become quite adept at using your crutches.
2) Vicodin makes me very, very ill, even on a full stomach.
3) I'm glad I have a small apartment.
4) A chair with wheels substitutes quite nicely for crutches.
5) Wilma does not appreciate having her tail run over by the above referenced "wheelie chair."
6) Friends will bring you food and drink if you're immobilized. Apparently all you have to do is ASK.
7) The promise of a big tip will inspire the pizza delivery man to get you a Diet Coke out of your fridge.
8) Knitting while being horribly nauseous does not work for me.
9) Trying to go backwards while on crutches is not a good idea. Unless there's something on the floor that you wanted a closer look at.

Things I learned between 5:30am and 10am this morning -

1) 5:30am is the best time to visit the ER.
2) You can go to the ER as many times as you like!
3) Percocet is a fine, fine drug.
4) I'm allergic to anti-nausea medication.
5) My new best friend is a knee immobilizer.
6) Saying, "I bet you've seen a lot of butts in your time, eh?" to the gay male nurse who's about to stick a needle in your bum is not a good idea.
7) Blogging while under the influence of pain medication takes quite a bit longer than normal.

16 Comments:

  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Oh, honey, I'm so sorry... and I'm laughing with you. I swear!

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Netter said…

    Now I'm really sorry for suggesting you try knitting!

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    When I was taking a lot of narcotics, I found that Ben & Jerry's Phish Phood ice cream worked very well to calm my stomach, and didn't hurt my mood either.

    Yay for good friends, and I hope this is the worst and you start feeling better SOON. Like ten minutes ago. An hour ago would be better.


    And my word verification is "doqeduq". I don't appreciate these dyslexia tests while I'm drugged myself. Cross your fingers that this works.

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am allergic to anti-nausea meds, too, like compazine. I learned the only thing you can do when taking pain meds is lay down. Once you stand up, you get dizzy and sick.

    I hope your knee gets better soon and you don't have to be in the knee immobilizer for long.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh April; it's been a long week for you already, hasn't it!

    Is it wrong that I'm laughing so much and sharing your post with my coworker (who is also laughing his ass off)? Sorry.

    Hope things get better for you real soon.

    p.s. I have no problem taking vicodin; feel free to send me yours ;-)

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Bells said…

    Hey April - you poor chook. What a nasty time you're having. And I'm really bummed you can't knit much because frankly, that's about the only good thing I could imagine abuot being immobilised. Here's hoping it all looks up from here.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Yeah...some of the codeine based meds give me the queasies, but I'm lucky in that I generally get past it. Like Cookie said, we are really laughing with you. But I still feel a bit guilty over the chuckles I got out of this one...something on the floor you want a closer look at! Ha!!!

    Feel better soon!

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    While I am really sympathetic here (see previous posts on pain meds and ankle break...), I am seriously laughing my butt off - and wheezing from same...

    If we are ever in the same time zone, I'll teach you how to go backwards with crutches - just call me 'Mater.

    PS - Does Blockbuster deliver? Maybe the pizza guy will pick up a movie for you?

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Well, you haven't lost your sense of humor.. I'm impressed.

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG, what did those kidds do to you now??? Are you ok? Do we need to send you medical assistance? Should I call your office for you? Do you need anything? Do you have enough yarn and Cup-a-soup?

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Heide said…

    Dang girl, I hope you start feeling better and are up and about soon. Or at the very least that you're able to knit again. Hugs from afar.

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger happyspider said…

    oh my goodness, you poor thing :( wishing some anti-nausea cashmere yarn your way...

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger monica said…

    I am sorry to here about your knee. Take it easy with the wheelie chair and the crutches. I had to laugh about the bum statement lol. Feel better.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger RC said…

    Poor, poor baby! I'm laughing with you, really.
    Hope you are feeling much better by now. If not, please shout out and I'll send chocolate.

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger Jeanne said…

    The second #6 is by far the funniest thing I've heard all day! Good to know that you're able to see the humor in all of this.

    One minor tale of caution: I used my knee immobilizer for too long when I broke the cartilege. My range of motion was very limited after that and I had much trouble walking normally. It took a good therapist to fix the problem. It might be different for ligaments, though. Just thought I'd point that out.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger catsmum said…

    oh poor baby
    laughing with you not at you :]
    anyway I popped over here to tell you you need to read my Blog for today. Skip the first bit and go straight to the goat at the end.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home