The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Busy Hands Are Happy Hands

We've been busy, busy, busy here at Chez Insanity. Here we see that I'm doing some major construction in my sandbox using the two fisted shovel approach. After all, Spring is here and that means long days diggin' in the ol' box. Gotta get it spruced up in case any of my friends want to come over and play.

Stealth Knitting - The Excitement Continues

I've also been stealthily knitting. I'm lovin' this SECRET pattern and how well the yarn shows the stitch definition. It's ever so rare that I choose a pattern and a yarn that actually go together.

I also have grandiose plans for finishing March's PL blanket tomorrow since it's the last day of March and all. Prior to the beginning of last year, whenever I'd knit I'd get terrible pains in my shoulders. Which is why I taught myself to crochet. Then I started knitting again and tried my best to ignore my aching shoulders. I guess you could say I "worked through the pain" because now I knit pretty much pain free. Now it's the crochet that makes my shoulders ache. Whoever says you can have it all is a big, fat, poopy liar. We'll see how my old, broken down body stands up to a marathon crochet session tomorrow.

And then there's that damn Cookie. Who keeps posting these beautiful sock patterns on her blog that cry out,"Knit me, knit me!" The latest pattern is the Nasturtium Anklets. And me being me, I had to find a yarn that made me think of nasturtiums. Because God forbid I should knit something in a color that doesn't match the color of the object in the title of the pattern. Being me is pretty much a 24/7 job. Anyway ...

I went to Commuknity after work and picked up a skein of the new Tofutsies yarn. Which, according to the label, is a "Great Yarn For Socks." It's 50% Superwash wool, 25% Soysilk fibers, 22.5% cotton and 2.5% chitin. For those of you who don't know what chitin is, it's the fiber they get from shrimp and crab shells. "It's naturally antibacterial!" Odd as it may seem, I've never paused to consider the antibacterial qualities of the yarn I've bought over the years. But of course, now I will. 425 meters for $16.95.

If I'd only felt this yarn in the skein I probably wouldn't have bought it. It feels very cotton-y. But fortunately they had some store sample socks knit in Tofutsies and once it's worked up it's very soft and springy. As in boing boing, not as in the season. A full report ONCE I've finished my stealth knitting.

9 Comments:

  • At 2:37 AM, Blogger Bells said…

    April you were a cutey-pie!!!

    I think your alternating pain with knitting and crochet is speaking pretty plainly - don't do one or the other for too long. Swap around and you'll be hunky-dory!

    I hear you on the cookie thing. I'm in love with her. She's mine.

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You look so cute in your sandbox :)

    I get more pain with crocheting; I think it's because your hands are moving more with crochet. Good luck getting the blankie done.

    I can't wait to hear your thoughts on knitting with the Tofutsies yarn.

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Aw!

    Sproing!

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Knittymama said…

    I was just thinking of trying the tofutsies. It might be a nice weight for this time of year, My feet were actually too hot the other day in my 100% wool socks.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Yeah, it's all my fault. :p

    Good luck with the yarn. I wanna know what you think because the skein I have is splitty and annoying.

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a little cutie-patootie! Lovely mystery knit all around. I'm sitting on the edge of my chair patiently waiting for the final reveal!

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I think that anytime we do a new "repetetive motion" type of activity we tend to tense up a bit more. And over-focus...and hunch. Once the muscles figure it out, things usually feel better. At least that's been my experience.

    Since we're on opposite sides of the country I guess I can't claim that it is something in the air, but I have to say that I was all about the Spring Motivation thing today, too. All that sun just fired up my desire to get out and "do!"

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Heide said…

    What an adorable picture! Spring has sprung and why should our knitting be left out of the excitement of the season?!

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    That yarn is pretty! Though my one experience with soy was it was difficult to knit with -- kind of splitty and fuzzy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home