The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Periodes Pourpres Deux

Don't you love Babelfish? I know I do.


There is high drama happening at Chez Insanity. The tension is mounting. There is much wringing of the hands. With only eight rows and a thumb to go, will April run out of the yarn necessary to complete her second pair of Fetching fingerless gloves? After all, the pattern did state that it was "possible" to knit a pair from one ball of yarn so there shouldn't be a problem, right? Yes? Aren't the phrases "may be possible" and "most definitely" interchangeable? And if they're not, umm, does anyone know where the ball band for this yarn went?

By the way, I'm totally addicted to making these. If anyone would like a pair please let me know so I'll have an excuse to make more. Thank you.


More of the purple yarniness. This is a terrible picture of the first of the three Elizabeth I scarves - "Dainty Bess." I love the way the pattern looks, I just wish it was a bit more challenging to knit. I'm using Cabin Cove Mercantile's fingering weight yarn in 50% wool, 50% silk. I really like using fingering weight for lace and the stitch definition with this particular yarn is perfect. Of course you'll either have to take my word for it since I suck at taking pictures or buy some yourself. I'd recommend alternative #2.

And arriving in the mail yesterday ...


"Violets By The River" by Hazel Carter. I've been wanting to do this pattern ever since I saw it on someone's blog about eight months ago. It's ever so whimsical with it's little bumblebees along the top but I can't decide what color to do it in. Maybe a pale green? I need four ounces of laceweight which is 113 grams but how many yards is that? I have no idea.

Last but not least, I'm still working on the Forest Canopy Shawl but I hate hate hate circular needles so it's going far too slowly for my liking. I'm using Addi Naturas with their nice flexible cable in a 28" length. I thought circs were supposed to be more comfortable to use than straights but I am constantly wrestling with these damn things. Wanna win a skein of sock yarn? Leave me a comment and tell me how to bring these damn circs under control. I'll love you forever. And you'll get some yarn.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I use Addi Turbo's and don't have a problem with the cables. I do have trouble when I use the Clover bamboo circulars (which is why I've replaced almost all of them with Addi's). So, I guess I'm no help to you.

    Good luck with the yarn for the fetchings - btw, feel free to knit me some :)


    A scarf with fingering weight, the Forest Canopy Shawl, and now a laceweight shawl - you must really love the lace!

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    If it's literally the cable getting to you, soak the cable in boiling water for thirty seconds to a minute, then take it out and pull the points away from each other as it cools. That takes all the freaky kinks out of the cable.

    If it's the lack of a straight-needle end to prop against your hip or under your arm pit, well, you're out of luck, my dear.

    Don't you dare even consider sending me yarn.

    As for the lace weight... well... wait and see what the Mail Fairy brings you.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    The boiling water usually works but make sure that you keep the joins dry so that you don't weaken the epoxy that holds the whole thing together.

    The Violets are pretty and I'm sure the Forest Canopy is as well.

    Oh, yes, and "may be possible" and "most definitely" are polar opposites.

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you had to use contrasting yarn on one thumb, I don't think the world would end. They'd still be so cute.

    I love your scarf! And I don't even like scarves. Or pink. But the crisp pattern is so pretty.

    I also love circs so I'm probably no help to you. I do the hot water trick, meself.

    I find it interesting that you have two Julies commenting on your blog.. what is it about your knitting that attracts Julies?

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I knit with circs because I always misplace the second needle or forget to bring it along for traveling knitting. I live with the rogue cable...not much help here, I'm afraid. But I do agree with Julie on the boiling. It really does help straighten out the cable somewhat.

    I will light a candle for you on the Fetching gloves! I may not sleep tonight for the sheer tension of it all!!!!! But they are lovely! They deserve to live.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have no advice on the circular needle problem; I came to see what others were advising you. I do know that I have not had trouble with the couple pairs of Addi Turbos I have. My inexpensive Inox and Susan Bates, though, are a horror.

    I am going to have to look up the violets shawl, as I have a bit of a thing for bees. I have a gorgeous, artisan silver bead with embossed honeybees on it that I made a necklace for. I think I may also need a shawl.

    The scarf looks great!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love my circs, as you know. I just hold the centers over the spout of my tea pot when I make tea and sort of stretch them out. It works really well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home