The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Thanksgiving Bribe

Let's look at some statistics on this Day Before Thanksgiving, shall we? I promise I'll try very hard not to bore you and at the end is a bribe that might make wading through all this worthwhile. Pinky swear promise.

One reservation - the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota to be precise.

1) Home to over 40,000 Oglala Sioux Native Indians
2) The average life expectancy of a male living on the reservation is 47 years.
3) The infant mortality rate is 5 times the national average.
4) The unemployment rate is approximately 80%.
5) The average income ranges between $2,600 and $3,500 per year.

One granny square -

1) Approximately 35 yards of worsted weight yarn.
2) 5 rounds of crochet.
3) 30 minutes to make.
4) 42 cents to mail.

One group on Ravelry -

1) Afghan Squares For Pine Ridge Reservation
2) 78 members
3) Founded November 2008

One bribe -

1) Click 1 button to join our group by midnight PST, November 30th.
2) Be entered to win a $25 gift certificate to either Webs or Elann.com, whichever you prefer.

Please note - you DO NOT need to make a square to be entered in this contest. Of course, it would be wonderful if you could but what I really want is for people to be aware. Aware that this travesty is going on in the richest country in the world. Aware that elderly people are dying of hypothermia in their own homes. That people are still using wood stoves to heat their homes. That this is happening now, on the Day Before Thanksgiving.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    You are a very, very good person. I'm certain that there will be some very thankful people as a result of your awareness campaign!

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok joined. can you teach me how to crochet so i can make pretty squares?

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just signed up.
    If I crocheted the squares, the squares wouldn't be square and it would take me forever to complete a square so I'm knitting squares. ok?
    Billie

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Sydney said…

    Wow! I wasn't aware of the Pine Ridge group! Thanks so much! I just sent a 25 lb. box of coats to them on Tuesday, and will be sending another box about the same size tomorrow! You can check out my blog for the post I wrote about the great need there!
    http://next-seven.blogspot.com/

    Thank you so much for being another voice to help our First Nation folks!
    ~ Sydney

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    I've been supporting the Lakxota Sioux in South Dakota for years and this is a cause that matters to me. I'll join right away! Thanks for letting us know!

    Hope you're holding up this Thanksgiving.. a tough year for you. I'm thinking of you {hugs}.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I joined too. You're in charge of the 'Crochet a Square' Club. So far two members, Jen and me.

     
  • At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, it's past the deadline for the contest, but I don't care; I still joined and will send some squares. I just so happen to be in the granny square mode right now :-)

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Past the deadline for the contest but melaswell (Ravelry) shared the info and I just had to get involved, especially with my native american heritage.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thank you for this. Each square, each skein of yarn (full or partial) will help to warm one person. The Oglala Lakota will remember you in their thoughts and prayers.

    Toksa Kolas
    Pam Little Sparrow Wingrad
    Love Afghans 4 PRR (yahoo group)
    Afghan Squares for PRR (Ravelry)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home