The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sew Yeah

Must. stop. buying. fabric.

Often you'll hear that the reason knitters have such a huge stash of sock yarn is because most of the time you only need to purchase a single ball to make a pair of socks and it's "usually" under $20.00. So it doesn't seem like a huge expense. Ha. Sock yarn doesn't have a thing on fat quarters.

For the non-quilters in the crowd, a fat quarter is a piece of fabric measuring 18" X 22" or ... a quarter of a yard. And these delightful little pieces of fabric can be had for as low as $2.00 on the ol' Innernets. Of course you can't exactly make a quilt out of one fat quarter but if you piece a whole bunch of 'em together, well there ya go. Or you can make little things. Like gift card holders.

The yarn store I work at is very big on promoting environmentally friendly knitting options. We also sell reusable gift cards at the store. What better way to stash your reusable gift card then in a reusable gift card holder? I know, I know, I'm a genius. Actually, if the truth be known, I just like making these little wallets so I'm trying to think up as many uses for them as I can. And I can use up my stash to make them. Err, that would be the "old" stash. As opposed to the "new 2008 stash."

5 Comments:

  • At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    KEY-UTE!

    Well, haven't you just been the busy little seamstress. I was going to say 'sewer,' but I didn't want you to take it wrongly!

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Cuter than cute!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Also good for holding stitch markers, row counters and yarn needles...just in case you've forgotten about knitting or anything like that. ;)

    Very cute! I went through a fat quarter phase a couple of years ago myself. It's a nice way to purchase some new fabric without going to a very expensive place. It is also nice for those of use who are "color challenged" and need a little help knowing what goes with what.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    So cute!

    Ya know, Joanns has their fat quarters on sale for $.99 each this weekend. Just sayin'...

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Man, that is darling!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home