The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Here, There And Everywhere

Today my friend, Kerry and I decided to engage in a little retail therapy. Of the yarn variety. Our first stop was Knitting Arts in Saratoga where I dropped off this -


Minus the cat, of course. This is my fourth blanket for Project Linus. It's called "Beth's Little Star Afghan." The pattern is available at www.crochetpatterncentral.com . It's done in Caron Simply Soft Brites. I like how it turned out but the entire time I was crocheting with the yellow all I could think of was, "egg yolks, egg yolks." I don't think I'll be making anything more with that particular color.

Our next stop was at a new store (to us, anyways) called "YarnDogs". It's in a small town called Los Gatos which is very upscale. As was the store. "Yes, that's a lovely knitting bag and no, I'm not going to pay $160 for it." Instead I bought an Addi crochet hook in size "K" and some cute kitty notecards. I don't think I'll be going back, if for no other reason than it was extremely HUMID in the store. Almost like walking into a sauna. Granted it was warm today but you could practically feel the moisture in the air. Some kind of innovative yarn storage technique? Who knows.

Finally, in an act of utmost bravery, we drove to Milpitas and hit ... WalMart. On a Saturday afternoon. However, being the seasoned WalMart shopper that I am, I embarked on my "perimeter route" only to find that Kerry was a "weave and dodge aisle jockey." Was this to be the end of a beautiful friendship?!? Fortunately a compromise was reached, we would weave and dodge to the yarn department and do the perimeter route back to the checkout. Thank goodness.

Kerry purchased the yarn for joining her Monet afghan squares together and I got this for my next Project Linus blanket.

This is Bernat Softee Baby. It's a pale blue and white although you'd never know it from this crappy picture I took. I thought since all the baby blankets I've made so far for Project Linus have been in girly colors it was time to do something suitable for a boy. I don't have a link to the pattern because it was one of those free project sheets you see hanging all over the place in Michaels. But it's nice, trust me. Hopefully I'll get my shawl finished this week and then I can start on the blanket.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha! Or course the kitty has to lay all over the new blanket! It came out so nicely. :)
    There's a Walmart in Mountain View and I've never been to the yarn dept. <:O
    Is that yarn shop in Los Gatos in an upstairs loft above an art gallery? If so, I've been there. It's VERY pricey! I went it, stayed there long enough to be polite, then RAN! :D

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ack! Forgive my spelling!

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger April said…

    Yep, I think it's the same place, only they've moved. They had a nice selection of yarn but that's about it.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger April said…

    Hi Raquel,

    Yes, I do love Bernat Softee Baby. Except for the fact that it's a sportweight yarn which means it will probably take forever to crochet the next baby afghan. But it is squishably soft. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home