The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

The Hat Of Much Sadness

I've knit a few hats in my knitting career. From Fair Isle to ribbed, from slouch to striped. I've even designed one or two. So could someone please explain to me why I'd ever be under the impression that 110 yards of worsted weight yarn would be enough for an adult size hat?

Here we have The Hat Of Much Sadness, aka The Hat Of Bad Planning aka The Hat Of Wishful Thinking. I really, really thought I'd have enough Crystal Palace Merino 5 (a lovely, albeit slippery, superwash yarn). But as I got about four inches into the pattern, (Rib-A-Roni, my current hat pattern obsession) I came to a shocking realization. I was going to run out of yarn. Shocking, I know.

I probably could have bought another skein with the same dye lot since I purchased this yarn less than a month ago. But noooooo, it had to be finished now. So I dug another yarn out of my stash and knit on. I even added a few rows of the Crystal Palace at the top to make it "look" as though this was what I'd planned all along. I also screwed up the decreases which is why Lydia is not modeling this particular hat.

Wove in all the ends and then realized. I'd just knit a hat with a combination of superwash and non-superwash wool. What is the point of THAT? Jeebus. Maybe I'll go back to scarves.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home