The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, December 05, 2008

Good And Gooder

I'm no longer working at my LYS. No, I didn't get fired. The payroll service that they use charges for processing payroll based at the number of employees on the roster. With me only working 4 hours a week it didn't really make sense to keep me on. Also, I hate retail. But that's another story.

However, I am still knitting samples for the store. This is my latest project.

This, my little cherubs, is 75% bamboo, 25% nylon, machine washable and dryable. How cool is that? Finally an alternative to superwash wool for the sock wearers. The yarn is "On Your Toes" by Kertzer. I'm not super mad and crazy about this particular colorway, but I don't pick 'em, I just knit 'em. It's very squishy and soft and as we can see, has great stitch definition. The yardage is a bit skimpy (328 yards) but the price is pretty damn good ($12.95). If you didn't want a huge long cuff on your socks you could definitely get a pair out of one ball. If you're in the market for sock yarn, this one is definitely worth trying.

There's been a lot of reading going on here at Chez Insanity. Particularly in the last six months. But out of all the books I've read this year, I'm pretty sure this is going to be my favorite. Despite it's somewhat risque title and cover, this is not a book about sex and vodka. Instead, it's the story of a mother and daughter who are forced to flee Russia in the early 1900's and end up in China. In addition to being a good read, there are some interesting insights into Chinese and Russian culture. It's a love story, it's an adventure and it's on sale at Amazon, used, for $1.38. Don't blame me if you stay up all night reading.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    But I wanted vodka. /pout

    What a good lookin' sock yarn!

    xo

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    A buck thirty-eight? Bargain books!

    How does the bamboo wear/feel on the foot?

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I'd rather knit for a store than do the retail thing. I think you've got the better job! Plus you have time to read and that's always a good thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home