The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Manhandlers

Just in time for Christmas, easy peasy fingerless mitts for guys. If you would prefer a PDF copy e-mailed to you just let me know. Please do not hesitate to contact me at Sakkasie@hotmail.com with questions or corrections. Have fun.

Manhandlers

Materials – 1 skein Brown Sheep Lanaloft (Aran weight yarn, 160 yards)
Needles – 4 - U.S. 7 / 4.5 mm double pointed needles, 1 - U.S. 8 / 5.0 mm double pointed needle (for binding off)
Gauge – 4.5 stitches over 1 inch in stockinette stitch
Size – fits up to a 9” hand (not including thumb)
Pattern notes – These mitts were designed with guys in mind and were inspired by the Maine Morning Mitts. However, the rib pattern is different and the thumb is different. But credit where credit is due, eh?

Abbreviations
PM – place marker
SM – slip marker
M1 – make one stitch. I used Elizabeth Zimmerman’s backward loop, www.knittinghelp.com has a number of suitable ways to increase by one stitch.

Directions

Using the long tail cast on, cast on 40 stitches and divide over 3 needles as follows: Needle 1 – 12 stitches, Needle 2 – 16 stitches, Needle 3 – 12 stitches. Join to work in the round, being careful not to twist. Work K2, P2 rib for 32 rows (I prefer my fingerless mitts to be a little on the long side) or desired length.

Being working thumb gusset as follows:

R33 – (K2, P2) 5 times, pm, M1, pm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R34 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, K1, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R35 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, M1, K1, M1, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R36 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, K3, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R37 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, M1, K3, M1, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R38 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, K5, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R39 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, M1, K5, M1, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R40 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, K7, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R41 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, M1, K7, M1, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R42 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, K9, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R43 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, M1, K9, M1, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R44 - (K2, P2) 5 times, sm, K11, sm, (K2, P2) 5 times
R45 - (K2, P2) 5 times, remove first marker, bind off 11 stitches, remove second marker, (K2, P2) 5 times
R46 – (K2, P2) to end. Note that when you come to the first stitch after the bound off stitches it’s a good idea to give that stitch a little extra tug after you’ve knitted it to tighten up the thumb gusset.

Continue knitting in K2, P2 for 6 more rows. This will end the mitts at the base of the fingers. If you prefer longer mitts, knit a few more rows of K2, P2.

Bind off loosely using a U.S. 8 / 5.0 mm needle. This gives the mitts a nice little flare at the end, and who couldn’t use a little more flair?

Cast off and weave in ends. Repeat for second mitt.


Copyright © 2008 Toque Du Jour Designs. This material may not be reprinted without the permission of the author; this pattern may not be used to produce items for commercial purpose.

13 Comments:

  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Dudes need mitts, too. Otherwise they would refuse to go out and shovel the driveway or start the car so it can warm up on cold morning.

    Or at least that's what I hear you can make a dude do. I've yet to find one that has shown any interest in such helpful things. Maybe I need to have more mitts on hand...

    Great pattern!

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm confused are these for men or for when you are handling men?

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Cool! thanks!!

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Marg said…

    Love the colours.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I laughed when I saw this pattern! I made some wristlets for my daughter last year but she says her boyfriend mostly wears them. Naturally I was thinking about making him his own pair. Now I can, thank you!

    Snow Queen

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Carolyn McElrath said…

    Hello: I am so grateful for this simple to follow pattern for fingerless mitts. Have you ever made them with connections between fingers? I've never worn mitts, but it seems that they would stay in place better that way. Thanks, Carolyn

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Happy Older Hippie Woman! said…

    One of the easiest, most appreciated patterns for the fingerless mitts! I made a pair for a friend after she commented how her digits would feel a chill while at the PC, and she loves them. I'm working on finishing my next pair for my bud, Marlene, who plays stand-up Bass for a folk band. Sometimes they play outdoors, and even in Summer one's fingers can feel a bit of a chill when making music outside. Another thing I really like about this pattern is that they "knit up" quickly - Yay for quickly!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Bramblefox said…

    I knitted up a pair of these for my brother in approximately three days (if I don't do anything else like reading or chores I can get ANY knitting project done FAST). They're for Christmas, but I managed to get him to try them on under the pretense that I wanted to know how much they'd stretch...they fit him perfectly. And now I'm going to have to make a pair for myself, because they're just that awesome. XD

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for this! I am an amateur and knitted these for my nieces and nephew for Christmas gifts. They will love them

     
  • At 12:35 AM, Blogger Renna said…

    I just made these, and love them! I made them for a male relative, using aran weight, and size 7 dpn's, as per your pattern. I think they'll be perfect for him. I'm going to try a pair for myself in worsted, using size 6 needles.

    I especially like the thumb. I've made a few pairs of the Maine Morning Mitts, and though I like that pattern, I hate picking up stitches. Not only did I not have to do so with your pattern, I think your thumb looks better. I will be making this pattern alot in the future, so thank you so much for sharing it! :-)

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Carolyn McElrath said…

    Hello, I am not sure why I received an email about "my pattern", but I do like the pattern that was included in the email. Thanks. Carolyn

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Rich_in_NFPA said…

    Any reason these couldn't be done two-at-a-time on Magic Loop? I was given a gift of a beautiful skein of Araucania Lauca yarn and thought these mitts would be the perfect project to make with it.

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love this pattern. It was fast and easy to knit. The directions were very clear and simple. Thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home