The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, July 21, 2008

It's A LibraryThing

A while back, Franklin, was extolling the virtues of an online cataloguing system called LibraryThing. Basically it provides you with a place to keep track of your books. Duh. Simply enter the ISBN number of your book and it looks for it either in Amazon or the Library of Congress, returns the book in question, then you click on the link and it adds the book to your online library. Very simple.

I like to read and I've acquired a few books over the years. I've never had the desire to catalogue them though. But being unemployed does strange things to one's mind. Why, I could pretend I'd gotten a job as a librarian and enter in all my books, I thought to myself last Monday. I only have about 150 or so. And it would sharpen my data entry skills. You don't want to let the ol' data entry skills go, that's for sure.

Not only that, but you could enter up to 200 books FOR FREE. What a deal. I could indulge my obsessive compulsive tendencies and not have to pay a cent. I was practically delirious. First, I would start with the books in the bedroom. Just to sort of ease into my new job as "Head Librarian Of Chez Insanity."

Three hours later, I was still in the bedroom and had input the quota for my free account. Apparently I have been in some kind of literary denial. Where had all these books come from? And I was beginning to notice a disturbing trend. One of the cool things about LibraryThing is that you can tag your books so that you can get an overview of how many books you have in a particular category. Which has led me to wonder why I seem to be so fascinated with memoirs written by recovering alcoholics. I also have 54 books on the topic of "Writing." Perhaps I'm grooming myself to become the next Ernest Hemingway.

Thankfully, I have 38 self help books. So if I start to slide off the rails I'll know how to get back on. My library also contains 25 books on "Tropical Fish." Very useful when you've got a five gallon tank with 3 platies in it. Which apparently are all the same sex since I've yet to have any babies from them. I guess I must have missed the many chapters on fish anatomy.

I've finally finished entering all my books. Not to mention upgrading my account because there are actually *cough* 509 *cough* books in my apartment.

7 Comments:

  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger aija said…

    Hehehe... I only use LT for fiber arts books, otherwise I'd have to upgrade too!

    (When I get to 200 knitting/spinning books, oy.)h1

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I know what you mean. I've got books stacked 'n stashed everywhere around here. I don't dare to start catalogue. That's the path to self-awareness and I don't really want to know how many I've stashed...

    But I admire those who do!

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    ::raises hand in back row::

    "Where the h3ll do you sleep?!"

     
  • At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What! No books on cats? What does Andy think about that? No wonder he is having issues.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Alwen said…

    509? Is that all? :)

    Hang on a sec . . .

    Argh. I have over 100 just on the 3 shelves that are in my studio.

    (That's on the shelf, not the ones I'm using that are hanging out in various places around the house.)

    Oh. And not including all those books that I want but haven't bought yet.

    Then we have 7 other bookcases in the house (2 are 7-footers, and one of those is double-stacked with paperbacks), not including the 8th bookcase that has my husband's vinyl LPs in it.

    *sigh*

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    I love LibraryThing. I hope eventually to enter everything I've got. Then I will finally stop buying books I already own! Wee hee!

    I have over 200 books between spinning, weaving and knitting so I already had to upgrade. But I knew I would. We have a ton of books. I still have to input all the fiction.

     
  • At 4:44 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    I was going to use LT until I realised that I had well over the 200 limit just in quilt books, ne'mind the spinning. knitting, gardening and goat care ones - and we shall not speak of the five bookcases of fiction in alphabetical order, nor the fact that three of them are devoted to scifi and fantasy.
    'T'is a worry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home