The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Fish Head

Fish Head (adj): One who is obsessed with tropical or salt water fish as pets.

That would be me. I became a Fish Head late in life, after my move to the wonderful land of America. I had taken a job as a payroll accountant and two of my co-workers were Fish Heads. Every day at lunch they would talk about their fish, what had died, what was still living, whether they really needed to clean their tanks or not. Since I was doing payroll I had been given a very large office, which my co-workers assured me would be the perfect spot to set up a tank. The rest, as they say, is history.

Within a very short period of time I had seven tanks and a small tropical fish business. I was ordering fish from as close by as Santa Cruz and as far away as Texas. Did you know you can ship live fish via the US Mail? Not the ones from Texas of course, they came American Airlines. I belonged to fish clubs, I hung out with other Fish Heads and I went to "fish meetings."

And then I got divorced. Had to downsize my living space. No more tanks. No more Sunday water changes. Three cats.

There's a lady that comes to Knit Night at the store. She's a new Fish Head so she's been asking me lotsa questions. And once again, the ugly addiction has raised it's fishy head. I now have a 2 1/2 gallon tank on my desk at work. "Debit" is a red cap oranda like the fishy in the picture at the top and "Credit" is a Ryukin, like the fishy in the second picture. Hopefully I can get pictures of them in the next few days rather than blatantly steal pictures off the Innernets. In a few months they'll probably outgrow their little home. But you know, there's a LOT of empty space here at work.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, my God!

    Wait 'till I tell Agatha about this.

     
  • At 5:46 AM, Blogger Alwen said…

    I got into fish late in life, too. It's only been about 4 years or so. I went through Artist's Way with an online group, and discovered I secretly wanted a tank of goldfish.

    I did nothing about this (as I thought) somewhat dumb wish. Then I went to our extended family Christmas party, and one of my aunts asked me if I wanted a tank of goldfish -- for our son.

    So I got them as a sort-of Christmas present. They are not fancy or exotic fish. But they're mine mine all mine!

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    We used to have fish.
    Now we have a Neatnik.

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Great. Now I'm going to have the Fish Heads song in my head all day. Which isn't the worst thing that could happen. I can annoy the BFK with it...

    I used to be a Fish Head myself. But it was a lot of work and the tank got so dirty that my living room was declared protected swampland. My Dad was a major Fish Head. But then he started living half the year in Florida and there was no one to clean the tank.

    Now, my brother is a Fish Head. The legend lives on...

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Roly-poly fishheads are never seen drinking cappuccino in Italian restaurants with Oriental women.

    Yeah.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    I also have a Fish Head song in my head, only it's the Adrian Belew version. Argh! (It's a bit better than the Dr. Demento classic that Annie's referring too, though.)

    I've been tempted by fishies a lot, lately. The thing that is stopping me for now is that my life is already a few degrees past insane. Though come to think of it, that never stopped me from anything before...

    Congrats on reentering the fish zone.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I considered fish for a long time, but I think I'm more of a dart frog kinda guy. And, f course, now that you've brought this all up, it's on my mind again. :)

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger Ally Jay said…

    Only into fish a teeny bit. I have two goldfish who live in youngest daughter's room. She loves them.

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not going to tell you how much of a fish head I am :-)

    Our house is full of fish tanks.

    I can't believe that as a former fish head you only got a 2.5 gallon tank this time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home