The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

P.Y.F.

I have now completed my first weekend as a Professional Yarn Fondler at Knitting Arts. And dayum, my feet are SORE. AND I have a new appreciation for the people who work in retail. Even if you've been doing it 20 years and know everything there is to know.

Frankly, my brain feels like it's going to explode. I worked 9 - 2 yesterday and had to have a little nap when I got home. I lost track of how many times I said, "Umm, I'm sorry, this is my first day." However, I managed to only exclaim once, "Wow, that's a lotta money!" after ringing up a sale. Duh.

Today I worked from 11:30 - 6:30. As I was sitting on the floor this afternoon organizing yarn into baskets I thought to myself, "I wonder who comes in to clean after we close?" Uh, that would be you, April. However, there was fun stuff too. One man, who was here from Australia, came in to buy sock yarn for his wife and wanted to take a picture of the Wall O' Koigu to show her when he got back. Oh, and this is beyond sweet. There's an East Indian gentleman who comes in every Sunday. He has taught himself to knit "on the sly" and is making sweaters for his wife and young son. He tells his wife he's going into the office and instead comes and knits at the store. Is that true love or what? *Sigh*

So speaking of knitting (ha) this is almost done.

Eyelet Yoke Cardigan, free pattern from Lion Brand, blah, blah, blah. Knit in Cotton Ease, like the pattern calls for. It just needs half an underarm seam done on the right side and then the entire seam on the left. And of course, the official placement of the Ducky Button.

Frankly, Frank, I think this yarn is too bulky for the design. I think the eyelets look like festering boils. Someone at the store suggested blocking it. Me? Block? It's enough that I'm sewing the seams. So it is what it is.

Here we have the beginnings of a rather small teddy bear. Except for his butt which seems to have taken on Beyonce size proportions. We're talkin' some serious junk in the trunk on ol' Teddy. Knit the front, knit the back, seam the sides and stuff. A little embroidery for the nose and eyes and there's yer bear. Sorry, no linkage available as it's a Knitting Arts pattern for the Perfect Teddy Bear Knitalong. I'm knitting mine in Malabrigo in the "Applewood" colorway. I wasn't sure at first if one skein was going to be enough, now I think I may have enough for an entire family.

And finally ...

While I was at work today, Andy decided to do a little knitting himself. Still having a bit of a problem with the casting on but he's working on it.

10 Comments:

  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    I have to agree with you totally on the yarn weight. I got my head bitten off when I said as much on a Yahoo baby knitting group I belong to, but really anything heavier than sport [ 8 ply for us aussies ] just seems to me to be too thick for newborns, the ability to whip up a baby swaeter in 5 hours notwithstanding.

     
  • At 1:54 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    and of course that should have read 'sweater'
    and I forgot to compliment Andy on his knitting skills

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    April Knitter, PYF!

    Sounds like you liked it - despite the tiredness.

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ohhhhh, that's a teddy bear? I thought it was the ears on a large-headed rabbit. Coolness.
    Your new job sounds like a lot of fun. And you could even meet Mr Right in there. (Or, even a Mr. Right Now could be good.)
    So, what have you bought so far???

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Nice job, Andy! Real men knit and there is just no two ways about it.

    Isn't it great to be able to use initials after your name? I seriously considered finishing my PhD just for the letters. I'd rather have my PYF. I'll bet that the internship would be soooooo cool!!!

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    The cardi is cute, despite bulkiness, but it's hard to beat the speed.

    Knitted stuffed animals weird me out. They look like discarded bits of skin while they're in progress. With crochet at least you can see the structure as you work. On the other hand, knitted stuffed animals are sort of magic when you stuff them.

    Working retail always looks exhausting to me, but ohhhh the yarny goodness. I am not sure whether or not I'm envious, but please touch some yarn for me.

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Yay! I'm so glad your first weekend went well.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger catsmum said…

    You'll really enjoy the Babysweaters group. They're a friendly helpful bunch - always ready to point you towards the latest free baby pattern - but like I said - I obviously touched a raw nerve . All I said was that I didn't knit a particular hat in the super bulky that the pattern called for because I thought it was too thick so I knit a larger size in smaller gauge yarn. No criticism was implied but obviously that's how a few people took it. Oh well. Still a nice group of people.
    ... and I just knew you'd enjoy the post about the goats... did you read the one on Friday? where Rosie was the guest Blogger?

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Monkee Maker said…

    Well done on your first weekend fondling those yarns, I hope you and the fibre will be very happy together.

    Hey, I thought you were going to knit a monkee?? (And on that subject, No. 8 really IS there!)

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Heide said…

    Junk in the trunk bear. Hee hee hee. The sweater looks wonderful. My kitty has given up on casting on and has settled on the wrap version of casting on. Unfortunately, that means wrapping the yarn around everying except the needles.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home