The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

One Step Forward, 300 Back

Victor arrived on Tuesday night. Bloodied nose and all. But this was to be expected. Earlier in the day, Joe, the fellow I'm fostering for, phoned to tell me that Victor had bonked his head on his feeder but that Victor was on his way, regardless. "Just clean up his nose and he'll be good," said Joe.

For some reason, the hauler decided to take Victor on a tour of Northern California so they didn't show up until 7pm. Victor has claustrophobia issues so I didn't expect him to be all happy and smiley when he got here but jeepers, he looked bad. Really bad.

Yesterday at work I get a call from the ranch. "Victor's nose is still bleeding and his face is swollen." Bye bye work, hello 80mph up Highway 87.

For those of you who don't have horses, let me tell you that every horse person is an expert on horse care. So when I got to the ranch I had six people giving me six different explanations as to what was wrong with my horse. I opted to call the vet since Victor's paddock looked like a crime scene. There was blood smeared everywhere.

I shall spare you the gory details of the vet visit. The long and short of it is, Victor has fratured his frontal sinus bone on both sides of his face. He also has a rather nasty wound where his head made contact with the feeder. For now, we're taking a wait and see approach and treating with antibiotics and the horse equivalent of Motrin for pain. My vet is reasonably confident it will heal on it's own, provided Victor is kept quiet over the next three weeks. If not, well let's cross that bridge when we come to it. But you know you're a horse owner when a vet hands you a bill for $300 and all you think of is, "Oh thank God that's all."

And through all of this, Victor has been the kindest and gentlest soul. Can you imagine what kind of pain this poor boy was in, standing in a trailer for seven hours with what must have been the world's worst headache? Yet not once has he fussed or been difficult.

Joe's response when I phoned him to give him an update yesterday? "Well just send him back."

Like hell I will.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Netter said…

    The poor baby. Amazing how quickly we get so attached, isn't it?

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I was going to make some smart-assed comment about how everybody in California seems to have nose-jobs...but it isn't going to work. This is just too sad. When I got the BFK, she was in much the same shape due to an old injury and, yet, was the sweetest, gentlest animal ever put on this earth. I hope that Victor gets well soon and the whatever powers-that-be recognize the goodness of people who love and respect animials as much as you do exist. You deserve the best Karma ever.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    I wouldn't want to send him back, but it would be nice if Joe would cover the vet bill since the injury occurred before Victor came to you. JMHO.

    Hope he's feeling better soonest.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Knittymama said…

    Poor Victor! I totally understand the trauma these animals can go through. Our retired greyhound went through some terrible experiences, but all that work with her has been totally worth it.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said…

    ooh the poor thing! that is just awful!

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Gotta agree with trek, though I suppose the reason they need foster homes is that they can't afford to care for them all. But, argh. Poor Victor. I hope he heals super-fast!

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, that's horrible, the poor horse. Can a horse get a nose job? I mean, it IS California, after all.

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Heide said…

    Poor Victor! I can't believe he's still gentle after all that he's been through. What a kind and wonderful soul. I agree with Trek that Joe should cover the vet bill. Even half of it would be something. Poor Victor. But Joe is probably strapped for cash with all of the horses he's trying to care for. You are a very good person April.

     
  • At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, how awful. Good thing he is going to a good home.

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Wow, rough start! I do hope he heals well. Can I make a suggestion for you? Go here sometime--> http://bayrab.proboards37.com/index.cgi#general It's a message board dedicated to horses, care & training & all that. Everyone there is extremely kind & helpful, and there's all different levels of experience. Yeah, people have different opinions on how some things should be done (as you mentioned), but they disagree respectfully & allow folks to make their own decisions. My ma is one of the two moderators, and I tell ya, she's forgotten more about horses than I've ever known (she used to be the head of the entire equine department at a local college). I don't mean to advertise, but I know how helpful that sort of place can be, and I thought you might like to check it out. Good luck with your sweet boy...he sounds like he's got a lot of hope in his future with you. :)

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    well at the very least you know that you have a very special boy there to put up with such pain and not at up.
    [ and he has a very special new mama ]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home