The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Resurrection

Last fall I cast on for Evelyn Clark's "Oak Leaf And Acorn" scarf for the third time. The two previous attempts had been with yarn that didn't want to be the Oak Leaf and Acorn scarf. But I had finally found what I thought was the perfect yarn from Fearless Fibers.

The scarf has a provisional cast-on which I had never done before. In this case you do the cast-on, knit one half of the scarf, undo the cast-on and then knit the second half. The first half of the scarf went well. Even though the yarn is variegated, you could still see the pattern. And then it came time to do the second half. Did I mention this was my first provisional cast-on?

I was ever so pleased at how the stitches were undoing themselves that I got a little overzealous. Suddenly I was going weeEEeeEEee but my stitches were going wooOOooOOoo! Ahem. I ended up with 32 stitches when I should have had 41.

Being the highly intelligent knitter that I am, I said to myself, "Self, just undo a row and pick up the stitches." Uhh .. not such a good idea.

So the scarf languished in a bag for five months, haunting me.

Until last Wednesday when I finally sucked it up and took it to the Lace Goddess Of The South Bay, Nathania. I walked into her store, scarf in hand and looked at her woefully. "I broke it," I whined. Nathania looked at her co-workers, announced that she was "in surgery" and sat down with my little scarf.

Ta da! Hallelujah, the scarf has risen! She is a genius, that Nathania. Of course, no good deed should go unrewarded so I was compelled to spend money in her lovely shop, Purlescence Yarns. I mean, what else could I do? Right? Yes? C'mon people, work with me here. So anyway, the goal is to get this thing finally finished and then I can go back and work on "Dave's Scarf." Yippee!

Here we have the defintion of annoying. See that tiny little ball of yarn at the top of the picture? See the sock without a toe? Yeah. My own fault though - this is what happens when you get too big for your knitting bag and think you can just "wing it."

Andy doesn't know what to do either.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad to hear that Nathania was able to fix your broken scarf. What an adorable kitty!

     
  • At 2:41 AM, Blogger Bells said…

    First up, Nathania is SUCH a nice name. I love it.

    And yes, you had no choice but to hand over cash for yarn after such a stunning bout of support and kindness.

    I LOVE that scarf! Get it finished so we can see it complete.

    And that sock looks ENORMOUS!!!! what are you going to do?

     
  • At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That scarf looks beautiful! Glad you were able to find a capable surgeon to revive it.

    Andy is one handsome guy!

    btw, I see no mention of Faina.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Andy knows what to do...he is clearly telling you to take a nap. I can tell these things.

    Nathania sounds like a genius and one to whom you should continue giving money. That scarf is amazing!!!

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Have you a contrasting yarn that you can sub in for the toe? Nothing wrong with calling in a pinch hitter, you know.

    Scarf's looking great.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    I agree with Trek.

    Thank goodness you got help with your scarf. It's lovely, and, yes, you had to spend money there. It was the right thing to do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home