The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

DK Day

Back in September of last year I entered "Sock Wars." At the time, for whatever reason, I assumed one only made socks out of ... well ... sock yarn. Yet when I got my pattern for the Socks Of Doom it called for DK weight. And the skies parted and the sun shone and there was a heavenly chorus of "Hallelujahs". Because socks knit with DK weight yarn go zOOooOOooOOm.

Now you (if you win) can experience the joys of socks knit with DK yarn! This is Fearless Fibers "Duck Season." To say that I love this colorway would be an understatement. One would probably clue into that fact if they knew I bought a half pound of it. It's 50% alpaca and 50% wool and weighs 4.8 ounces so it's more than enough to do a pair of socks. Like these socks for instance. I've done this pattern before and it's very simple and goes zOOooOOooOOm. Quack.

Do you have children? Children who like it when their feet look like they've stomped on a million bumblebees? Or want their feet to look like a box of Crayola crayons just exploded on their toes? Good. Then you can help me out.

Wild, no? I was organizing my stash today and came across these. Both colorways are also DK weight. The ball in the back is called "Kindergarten Colors" and trust me when I tell you, it's even more vibrant when it's knit up. It's 50% merino wool and 50% alpaca, 240 yards. If you didn't care to make socks from it, it would make a great kid's scarf or hat. This yarn is so bright it would probably blind the eyes of any potential child abductors.

The second yarn is 100% merino and is appropriately named "Bumblebee." It's quite squishy soft. Four ounces and 280 yards of bZzZzZzZz.

Now if you didn't know already, I live in the world's smallest apartment. A good portion of this apartment is devoted to my stash. Which means if I don't absolutely adore a yarn I don't keep it. I have even been known to *cough*throw yarn out*cough*. But since this is handpainted, kind of pricey yarn it should not suffer that fate. If you want it, e-mail me, Sakkasie@hotmail.com . I would prefer that someone who is knitting for Dulaan or another charity take it but really ... I just want it to go to a good home.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    It really does look like a melted box of crayons - all swirly primary colors.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wild colors - kids would love them!

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pretty yarn! I think it is hard to find dk weight yarn, in general. My kids like any color of socks that I make for them, though the bright colors are fun!

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Josiane said…

    I definitely can see why you love this "Duck Season" colorway! The yarn looks yummy, and it must be a joy to knit with...

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said…

    Thanks for the pattern link!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home