The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

A Scarf, A Shrub, A Chicken


Hooray ... it's done. Finally, after I don't even want to think about how many months, the Irish Hiking Scarf is complete. Doesn't Mr. Lampshade make a lovely model? This is a shorter version than the original pattern. It's more of a "cross in the front, tuck in your cashmere coat" type scarf. The color and the yarn seemed to lend itself to something more elegant, as opposed to a sporty, wrap around your neck version. To recap, this was done in Louisa Harding's "Kashmir Aran" on US 8's. I *think* I used five balls and the finished scarf is 44".

Pre- Goat

Isn't this a lovely shrub? Look at the shiny green leaves. The abundance of those same leaves. Look at the price tag. Oops, can't see it? $29.99.


Post-Goat

Look at the decimated shrub. Look at the spindly branches. Poor plant, little did it know it was to become a goat buffet. Elapsed time from pre to post goat - 45 minutes. Why don't I simply set my money on fire? Anybody have any brush they need cleared?


Today was cleaning day in the pen. Here are Stanton and Leland helping me clean their dog house. I had always thought that cats were the most curious animals on the planet. Let me assure you, they've got nothing on goats. EVERYTHING must be sniffed and inspected. Oh look, a leaf just blew in the pen - WHAT IS IT WHAT IS IT? CAN I EAT IT?

Speaking of which, I'd like to address a common myth surrounding goats. Contrary to popular belief, they will not eat EVERYTHING. Trust me. For example, they will not eat Triscuit crackers, Corn Nuts, apple fritters, dry roasted peanuts, pumpkins, raisins, apples, carrots, three different varieties of horse cookies, or parsley. However, they will eat the driest, deadest leaf they can possibly find. And my jeans. I wear tasty jeans.

And just because, here is Mr. Fuzzyfeet.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay for finishing it! The scarf looks fantastic.

     
  • At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh poor, poor shrub. Poor, poor April.

    Love the fuzzy footed chicken :)

     
  • At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha ha ha ha ha...er..I mean, oh, so sorry about the bush. Those kidds can really get into trouble. That's interesting about their curious nature.
    And the scarf is gorgeous. Every time I've seen that pattern done, it's always has a different look. (And I've made a couple of them myself, too.)

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jeans taste like shrubs, don't you know :)

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I used to know people who kept goats to clear brush...now I see why. Once the goats were done, they used a Clydesdale to haul out the felled timber. Rural Maine...gotta love it!

    That's a stylin' scarf you got there!

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Wow, I've been trying to post a comment all day (blogger is ill) and now I can't remember what I was going to say. hmm. Glad you finally found a happy yarn — the scarf is beautiful. I'm not surprised about the goats. And yes, I DO have brush that needs clearing. Pack 'em on Amtrak and I'll pick them up at the station! Of course, they'd probably eat the train seats...

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Oh yeah, and in my neighborhood the CITY actually uses goats to clear the canyons of brush. But will they let me have one as a pet? Even though I have a deadly, brush-filled canyon? No! Darn CC&Rs!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home