The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Yeah, I Know

I know, I know. Right now you're thinking, "Whoa, April has gone around the bend - she's crocheting condoms! In matching sets, even!" But hey, that would be just silly. I mean, look at all the holes. These would be condoms for those that WANT to get pregnant.

Actually they're ... slipper socks. Yes, more slippers. If you think these are atrocious, you should see the second pair I made. I crocheted red on the toe and made the body green. Someone said they looked like oversized pimento olives. It was at that point that I realized that just because something was quick and easy didn't necessarily mean it should be made.

And therein lies the rub with charity crafting. With a place like the Pine Ridge Reservation, where the need is so great, it's hard to decide whether to go with crocheted condoms or something that takes a bit more time. Right now I'm working on my second pair of Worsted Ankle Socks (you have to scroll down for the pattern, it's a PDF). It takes me about four days to knit a pair of these. With the Condoms A La Crochet I can make four pairs in four days. But that's not why I knit (or crochet). I would rather make one thing I was proud of than four things I was "meh" about. So onwards and upwards, winter IS coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home