The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Fear Not The Bendy

Valerie is psychic.

A few months back Valerie, who is generosity personified, sent me a boatload of DPN's in various sizes. But these were not your average, run of the mill DPN's. Oh no.

These DPN's were bendy.

Bendy!

And they were long

Long!

And they were made from space age polymer! (Author's note - There are currently no pictures available of the Space Age Polymer Tree). So of course I did what I always do when faced with something new. I put them in the closet.

But then along came this ball of yarn from Fearless Fibers in the "Clear Sailing" colorway. It's a heavy worsted weight yarn and I was going to make Dulaan socks from it. But this yarn did not want to become socks. The entire time I was attempting to knit a sock it kept whispering, "I want to be a hat, I want to be a hat."

Now we all know how circular needle challenged I am. And please, don't bother leaving me hints in the comments about how to make circs "work for me." We just don't get along. So I browsed a few patterns online for one that was written for DPN's. And actually found one. But there was a problem.

You needed to cast on 90 stitches and all I have are itty bitty DPN's. And it was the day before payday. Then I remembered! I have the Bendy Longs!

See how nicely the hat fits on the Bendy Longs!

Now, I'm not saying the Bendy Longs are for everyone. The yarn does have a tendency to "drag" a bit on these, as compared to say, bamboo. But that's about the only complaint I have. It can be a bit disconcerting at first feeling your needles bend as you're knitting but the larger the needle, the less bendy. And they come in really pretty colors! And they'll never break! Because they're space age and all. And best of all, they make a pretty hat.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:11 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Aw, gee, I wanted to see the Space Age Polymer Tree! Waa!

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I've heard good things about the bendies! Those of us who demand long needles and have to really crank on them to avoid the dreaded sock ladders have cause to rejoice and dance in the streets!!!

    (Sorry. I'm a bit giddy at the moment. Dr. Judy prescribed a narcotic cough medicine and I now love everyone and everything to a highly disturbing degree)

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    I agree that those are rather grippy needles. I thought they'd be similar to bamboo (and couldn't get wooden needles to you quite as fast as polymer), but it sounds like they are grippier. I find them invaluable for both hats and for slippery and acrylic yarns (normally I'm an Inox girl). Glad they have found a use!

    Hugs from Down Undah!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home