The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Aargh

Look, it's 1:00 in the morning. A time when most normal people (and rats) are asleep. Like Doug here. But Doug's not trying to figure out a scarf pattern that refuses to work. It's a crochet pattern. I paid MONEY for it. $4.00 to be precise. But the instructions yield a scarf that is 9" wide. I don't want 9" wide. I only want 5".

It's a very simple ribbed scarf. You alternate between a FPDC and a BPDC. It should be easy to scale down, right? The answer to that question is NO. Now I'm going to have to go to The Knitting Room tomorrow (errr ... later today) and buy enough yarn to make this stupid thing so that I can get the owner to explain this damn pattern to me. Because at The Knitting Room they only offer help with patterns using yarn purchased there. That's OK, it's their store, they can do what they want. However, I need to get started on this thing now because I have 8,723,954 scarves to make by December. Time is marching on and all that rot.

I did finish a lovely scarf today though. It's the Sweet Guy Scarf and wow, is it ever nice. Plus, it's dead easy. Unfortunately, when I did my starting chain I chained (chon?) a bit too tight and so my version is kind of shaped like a banana. I'm hoping a little bath will help relax the yarn enough so that it straightens out. We'll see. I just have to put fringe on it and then I'll take a picture. I did mine in red and grey which is one of my all time favorite color combinations. Seriously though, if you like to crochet and need a scarf I can't say enough good things about this pattern. Except that you need to remember to chain loosely and if you want it to be about 5 feet long, you'll need to chain around 249 chains. I only chained (chon?) 199 for the scarf that looks like a banana and it came out at about 51".

You know what? I think that eating a big honkin' piece of Godiva Double Chocolate Cheesecake at 11:00 wasn't one of my better ideas. Maybe I'll give some to Doug to wake him up so he can keep me company. I have a feeling I'm gonna be up a while.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:35 AM, Anonymous 2paw said…

    I usually make the foundation row with a bigger hook, then change back to the proper size for the next row when I crochet, the Guy scarf is definitely a great pattern. I saw a woman deep frying cheesecake on YouTube this week. OMGCB!! Hope you get some sleep, and some pattern help, and Doug too!!!

     
  • At 4:19 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Yeah, intense chocolate late at night is usually good for inducing insomnia. Hope you eventually got some sleep this morning

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Even though our posted policy is to charge for help if your yarn was not purchased at The Knitting Room we help people for free every day. But if you need several hours of one-on-one help there may be a charge if your yarn is not from The Knitting Room.

    Please bring your project in today.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home