The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Free Cat - Inquire Within

And there I was, lounging on the couch this afternoon, engrossed in a delightful book and enjoying a cup of tea. DeeDee was in the bedroom, most likely sleeping / farting. Andy was out on the walkway hunting dead leaves. That is ... until bigger prey came his way.

At first I thought it was another lizard. Another damn lizard. I should have been so lucky. Lizards are fairly resilient. Nope. This time it was a bird. A LIVE bird.

Andy was quite pleased with himself until I screamed "Leave that bird now!" He translated this to mean, "Grab the bird and head for the bedroom." I finally backed him into a corner with his prize and wrapped up birdie in a towel. Now what? Do I take birdie outside and put him in a bush? I peel back the towel to see Mr. Birdie doing the avian version of hyperventilating with his eyes closed. Crap.

Go online. Google "Wildlife Rescues". Computer freezes up. Birdie is still wrapped in the towel, on my lap, and I can feel his little heart pounding.

Find out that nearest Wildlife Rescue is way the hell and gone over on the East side of San Jose. Dump DK yarn out of Rubbermaid tub and put birdie, wrapped in towel, in tub and angle lid so birdie can breathe. Jump in my car, which btw is broken and should not be driven long distances, and fly down the highway.

Halfway down the freeway I check the back seat in the rear view mirror to see if birdie is still in towel. Realize lid has shut on tub and birdie is probably suffocated. Pull over, open lid, anchor more firmly, head off.

Drive by Wildlife Rescue TWICE, missing driveway both times. Finally make it into the parking lot. Open lid and peel back towel as there is no sense in carrying in a dead bird. FLAP FLAP FLAP. Birdie flies into my forehead. Birdie is still alive.

Wait in reception for ten minutes while birdie flies frantically around in my yarn tub. Start banging on doors. Volunteers finally show up, give me paperwork to fill out and take birdie into the back.

Cat comes with one 5 pound bag of Purina Indoor crunchies and one catnip mouse.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Marie said…

    Hubby has a strict policy about cats in the refrigerator, or I would take Andy in a heartbeat! ;)

     
  • At 4:43 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    ::snort::

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Andy would so miss you and your refrigerator!

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    We always give Laila treats when she catches a bird, squirrel, bunny, mouse, rat... which of course I suppose only rewards the behavior. {sigh} no wonder she's such a killer. She'll do anything for those Pounce crunchy cheese treats.

    I'd take Andy, but Laila would eat him. And then ask for treats.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I think he is really sorry about the birdie. Especially after he saw the gi-normous beak-shaped bruise on your forehead. He's probably writing a letter of apology right now.

    Look in the fridge...

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My cat was even more surprised then the bird when one got in our house. she just wanted to play, and didn't hurt it.

     
  • At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are a good woman taking that birdie all the way to the wildlife rescue center!

    I'm sure Andy is sorry for what he did; give him a second chance -it's not like people are knocking down your door for him anyway ;-)

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger Becky said…

    Since I have a secret (oops, not so much anymore) and deep love of Andy, I will take him from you as long as you are willing to take a cat in return. Angus (see, it'll be easy, their names start with the same letter, so you won't even have to re-do any of Andy's old monograms) is obese and orange, and he is an insistent snuggle-bunny. That is, when he's not glaring suspiciously at you and running terrified under the bed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home