The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Cowardly Lion

The Scene - Victor's Stall at the Almaden Equestrian Center

April enters the stall, swinging the door wide open, Victor on a lead rope behind her.

April - "OK, buddy, all clear. Come on in."

Slowly a nose comes sniffling around the corner.

Victor - "I smell a bobcat."

April - "Nope. Just me in here."

A few minutes pass. Half a face appears.

Victor - "I think there's a MOUNTAIN LION in there."

April - "It's all clear, really. Just me and that hay you peed on. Let's move along here, Sunshine."

One very large brown eye appears.

Victor - "Are you sure there's NOTHING in there?"

April - "You bet. Safe and sound."

A hoof moves.

Victor - "POSITIVE sure?"

April - "Looks good to me. Almost dinner time, better get moving."

Another hoof moves.

Victor - "REALLY positive sure?"

Victor and I go through this same routine every night after we've finished our evening walk. It would appear I'm fostering the world's most timid horse. It takes us 10 minutes to go 20 feet because we constantly, well Victor, has to stop and sniff the air, do a quick survey of his surroundings and THEN we can move. Another 20 feet. Our walks take a VERY long time but we don't go very far. And if someone comes into his stall with me? BAM! He's behind me in an instant, head on my shoulder, waiting for me to protect him. He doesn't seem to realize he's 1,000 pounds and almost 17 hands high.

OK, enough horse talk, let's talk SOCKS! Over on the ol' sidebar is a link to the "Summer Of Socks 2007." Sign-ups are being held right now and will run until May 26th. Jessica is going to be having contests to see who can knit or crochet the most socks in three months, there's a design contest, oh heck, there's all kinds of stuff goin' on. You should sign up! It'll be fun

Also in the sidebar is Sockapalooza 4 which I'm looking forward to as well. I've gotten my swap person and she's pretty much left the door wide open as far as pattern, yarn and color go. Wendy has posted a new toe-up pattern for sportweight socks so I may give those a shot. I've never done toe-up before.

Half a pair of Dulaan socks # 3. This is the Garter Stitch Rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks, the yarn is Cascade 220. Does anyone know if this yarn will soften up if I wash it? It seems a little scratchy right now. I don't want a little person to have to wear scratchy socks.

This yarn was intended to be socks but I started a sock with it and just didn't like it. It didn't feel as though it would wear very well. This is Classic Elite's "Inca Print" and it's 100% alpaca. Umm, I bought six skeins. But it was HALF PRICE! So since all I seem to knit are socks and scarves I guess I'll be making some purple scarves for Dulaan as well.

8 Comments:

  • At 5:13 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Perhaps you could convince Victor that you are on the SWAT team and that your squad has secured the area??

    Poor guy.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Heide said…

    Poor "little" Victor. I had no idea he stood so tall. Makes you wonder what happened to him in his former life. It's wonderful that he trusts you so much already and looks to you for protection.
    I'll cheer you on in the Summer of Socks. Currently I hold the title of "World's Slowest Knitter" and entering a speed knitting contest would be highly embarrassing. The variegated purple yarn would make lovely hats. I've never used sportweight for socks, but I hear the fly off of the needles. Hugs to you and your menagerie of critters.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    At least, he trusts you. I think that's a good start.

    Love the Inca Print. I would think it would be too warm for socks, but fab for scarves.

    Thanks for the tip about the toe up pattern. I have some sport weight sock yarn that I'm not sure what to do with.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Sounds like poor Victor was abused. Good that he trusts you, you will be able to help him learn to face the world.

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, this is your sock buddy from sockapalooza 4! I got the yarn for your socks last night. I can't wait to cast on, I contemplated trying to knit and work on the computer today, but decided my boss may not like that idea.

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Victor and my Hysterical Mind would get along rather well, I think. She's scared of mountain lions, too. And it's not like we have a lot of them in my condo complex!

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it's so sweet the way that big ol' horse trusts you. Soon enough I imagine he'll come out of his shell a bit.

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    Poor Victor. I bet all the tlc your sure to give him will help him get less spooked.

    Cascade 220 superwash does soften up to be pretty nice. I dunno about non-superwash yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home