The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Call Me "Trek 2"

It was all going so well. Really. I like Indi, she's a good horse. And she's short so I knew that my fear of heights wasn't going to be a problem. I hopped on and around and around the arena we went. Both ways, even! The crowd of people who'd gathered to watch April's return to horseback riding were all suitably impressed. But then my bum got sore and I got tired of going in circles.

So it was time to dismount.

And I did. Halfways. Unfortunately I was a dumbass and wore my sneakers. My left foot got stuck in the stirrup. This is not so bad. I am the world's worst "dismounter" and it's happened before. But this time it was uhh ... really stuck. And my right foot was on the ground. I don't think I'm far off in saying this position would be difficult even for an Olympic gymnast.

Crutches - check
Ace bandage - check
Prescription for Vicodin - check
Referral for three orthopedic surgeons - check
Evening spent at the Good Samaritan Emergency - check
Torn knee ligaments - check
Three day work release signed by the attending physician - check
Desire to read a horse again - negligible

Our hero, in happier times.

10 Comments:

  • At 5:39 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Oh, man, that really bites! What do the orthopedists say? Is surgery on the Apirl-horizon?

    I'm so sorry.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Netter said…

    Oh April, that's too bad. Can we look on the bright side of the knitting time, or are you in too much pain?

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Oh, boy, don't let it deter you. a couple of days on the couch will heal all (hopefully)

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Knittymama said…

    Oh no! Here's hoping you're back on your feet (literally!) soon.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Bah and ow. Heal fast. But remember: that's what you get for insufficient shoe shopping.

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Heide said…

    Ouch! I hope you heal quickly. In the meantime, maybe you could pop a few Vicodin and try knitting something. Do you ever read about the studies done where spiders were given LSD and their web spinning results were studied? This could be a new and interesting fiber study. Okay, sad attempt at levity, but I do hope you feel better soon.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, that is terrible. I have had torn knee ligaments as well as torn cartilage. I use to dislocate my knee a lot in high school and then later in college until I finally had surgery for it. It takes a long time to recover from knee injuries, especially torn ligaments as they don't have blood flow to help them repair.

    Also, I have learned over the years that it is better to have a brace that allows for some movement as having no movement allows for the muscles to atrophy, which makes for a longer recovery.

    I hope it gets better quickly.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Oh CRAP, I hope you feel better soon. And that the Vicodin doesn't interfere with your knitting ability.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Oh, you poor thing!!! The Big Fluffy Kitty sends all sorts of head-bonks, snuggles and kitty snorts your way. On the up-side, you get the vicodin...that's kind of a fun way to spend a day.

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Jeanne said…

    My sympathies! Just when you were ready to get back on the horse. I know how fun knee injuries are (and back injuries), horse-related and otherwise. I'm recovering from a sprained left knee right now and broke the cartilege in my right knee a year or so ago.

    Wendy is right, movement helps more than immobilization, though you probably won't feel like much of anything for a few days. Hope you heal up fast!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home