The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Catch Up Time

How horribly cruel of me to keep the Contest Monkeys waiting for the big announcement. However, last night WAS Valentine's so of course I had to go to my crochet meeting. So, without further ado, the winner of "Victorian Lace Today" is ...

BELLS!!!

Yes, my little Contest Monkeys, I'm mailing a thousand pound book to Australia. Congratulations, Bells! Hey! Who's that crying in the back? Fear not, there WILL be more random drawings. Pinky swear promise.

And now for the second reason anyone read this blog today ...

It's The Sock Yarn Of Three Days!

Here we have, from left to right, Lion Brand "Magic Stripes" (pfft, what you thought it was going to be Lorna's Laces every day?), Fearless Fibers sportweight yarn in Chocolate Pink Cherry and finally Knit Picks "Essentials." Please note what a lovely job I did of coordinating the colors today. I'm getting somewhat weary of typing out yarn statistics so suffice to say all of this will make three pairs of socks.

Now for some actual knitting content. Perhaps one or two of you have noticed I have a slight obsession with Cabin Cove Mercantile yarn. This is true. And now there's an actual KAL which celebrates this glorious yarn. It's the Shut Up And Knit Your Cabin Cove! KAL. What a wonderful idea and what a smart person Cookie is for thinking this up. Yes, of course I've joined. It's a never ending KAL that simply celebrates Dave's yarn. Because something this beautiful should be celebrated.

You may remember this as the "Dainty Bess" scarf from the three Elizabeth The First patterns. I started it in January, before the KAL began, got bored with it and put it aside. The pattern itself is pretty simple but not simple enough that you can watch TV and work it at the same time. But now, thanks to Cookie, I am INSPIRED! The picture above shows the actual color of the yarn ...

... while this is a better shot of the stitch detail. Now I ask you, how often do you knit up lace and have it look this good pre-blocking? Not very friggin' often. Yet one more reason why Dave creates magical yarn. This is a fingering weight 50% merino, 50% silk in the colorway "Orchid." This yarn was made for lace. I'm ever so glad that I have more. And well, some more after that. And maybe a bit more.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Ooh! Lovely lace. I need to knit my CC also (I only have one precious skein at the moment, but it's gorgeous), but I know that with me, the moment I join a KAL my rebel streak makes me stop knitting that particular thing immediately. Kind of like going on a diet makes me eat Texas.

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a beautiful scarf! I have yet to try Dave's yarn. I'm going to have to remedy that situation real soon.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Oh, awesome, I'm so glad Bells won, I know she's desperately wanted a copy of that book. (My review nearly sent her over the edge.) This will make her day.

    I hope you plan to send that scarf to me for blocking - I've wanted to get my hands on some Cabin Cove for a while now to see how it blocks, and if you let me do it, it's like I get all the fun with no money spent or time knitting. Win/win.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Oh, you make me laugh!

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Love!

    Is that lace weight yarn or fingering? Because I have more of Dave's lace weight and I have those patterns!

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Oooooooh! Pretty, pretty scarf!!! Glad that the inspiration returned on this one. Time to go visit Cabin Cove, I thing...

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG, that is wonderful! If I dyed up a bunch, would you make me one, and you can keep the rest??? Or something? ANYTHING? Huh? PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE???

     
  • At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's very pretty lace and the colour is amazing.

     
  • At 2:19 AM, Blogger Bells said…

    OH MY GOD!!!

    I am dancing happily around my living room. Ok, I WAS, now I'm sitting and typing.

    April thank you! I love you!

    Julie is right. this has TOTALLY made my day.

    Guess I'd better send you my address!

    I will LOVE this book.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home