The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Fish Tale

April 11th - Set up tiny 2 1/2 gallon fish tank, add 2 goldfish knowing that tank is way too small for one goldfish let alone two.

April 16th - Perform first cleansing of tank, marvel at the amount of crap siphoned out.

April 22nd - Grow concerned over the fact that goldies are gasping at the surface of the tank and perform second cleansing of tank.

April 27th - Goldies are once again suffering breathing distress and decide to repopulate the tank. Return goldies to pet store and exchange for two dwarf gouramis which pet store owner assures me will be fine in such a small tank. Float gouramis in their bag in the tank so the water inside the bag and the water in the tank become equal in temperature. Read all about dwarf gouramis on the innernets and how they are timid, non-aggressive fish.

Release gouramis into tank and watch as they attempt to kill each other.

April 28th - Purchase 3 guppies in an attempt to divert the gouramis attention away from commiting piscine homicide. Gouramis team up and try to kill guppies. All three guppies go into hiding behind the filter. Convince myself that everyone just needs a little time to settle in.

April 29th - Guppies still behind filter, gouramis swimming peacefully around tank.

April 30th - Return gouramis to pet store and inform owner that he sold me extremely territorial fish. Return to work to find three little faces peeking out from behind filter.

10 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have fish. Goldfish are cold water fish. The tank could have been too warm. Also, they need oxygen pumped into the water, do you have an aerator? You can also buy a simple filter for the tank to keep the ammonia in the water down. Overfeeding, not enough oxygen in the water, and dirty tank are reasons fish gasp at the air.

    Gourami are territorial. Also, if they are both male they will attack each other. The will nip and even kill smaller fish. They like to have areas to hide in and around. They can be aggressive They are warm water fish. They prefer the top area of the tank over the bottom. So if you buy other fish to go with them, you need to buy fish that prefer the bottom of the tank.

    Warning: guppies are a short-lived fish. They only live from 1 to 3 years.

    One other thing is how you clean the tank...

    The tank has to go through the nitrogen cycle (google it.) It really isn't good to clean the tank until it has gone through the cycle. Then, you only clean a percentage of it. With a good filter, you may never have to clean it.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    I love you, April. You and those poor little guppies with PTSD.

    Did I ever tell you about the pleco I had that frightened a grown man?

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And to think folks complain about pit bull
    dogs!

    xoxo
    Agatha's gran

     
  • At 4:50 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    What no fish pictures?

    Sorry about the gouramis!

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad that you finally have happy fish!

    I'd love to see pictures too!

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think Gourami are cute, but I never had more than one in a tank, so they were placid. Stupid fish salesperson. I have always liked guppies and you might get babies so watch out for them. Pictures would be great.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    April, you crack me up! I have 2 platy fish that chased another poor platy and forced "her" to hide all the time. I named those "guys" the chasers and moved them to their own tank.
    Good luck now! Lu

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    You are reminding me why I gave up the life of the Fish Head...

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger SpinalCat said…

    I used to have a spotted loach. Ugly, but indestructible. I gave him away when I moved. Unfortunately, I have recurring nightmares about fish, so I don't think I'll be getting any more.

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Blogger Shirley said…

    I'm gonna spend all day picturing those 3 terrified wee faces.

    I've tagged you for a meme m'dear.

    cherryred x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home