The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Came Early

And Santa brought me a job. A real job. One that pays more than unemployment. No, I can't believe it either. Not to mention it all transpired within a week. Last Tuesday a recruiter who I'd never worked with called me and said, "Can you be at a job interview in 90 minutes?" Please bear in mind that not only had I not showered I had at least a 30 minute drive ahead of me. But when opportunity knocks, you jump in the shower and then drive like a bat out of hell.

So I started work this week on Tuesday. The company itself has been in business over 20 years and is like the Amazon.com of scientific journals. If you want a paper written by Professor Blah Blah Blah we're the people you would order a copy from. We're located on the same grounds as the Stanford Research Institute so I feel quite academic and intellectual these days.

I'm doing accounting as usual. Sending out invoices, doing collection calls. After having been out of work for six months, I am an expert in collection calls. The only downside, if there can actually be a downside to having a job in these troubled economic times, is the commute. The office is in Menlo Park. Menlo Park is only 22 miles from my little apartment. However, it takes me a full hour to get there during rush hour. I'll get used to it, I'm sure. I've driven farther for work and that was for a job I didn't even like. This one I kinda like.

15 Comments:

  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger yarnpiggy said…

    Congratulations! :-)

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yippee!!!

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YEAH! WAHOO! We missed you knitting tonight but this is a great reason.

     
  • At 4:44 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Awesome, April! This is wonderful news :D

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats, April, that's great news!

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YAY!!! I'm so happy for you. What a great Christmas present!

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful Christmas present. I am very pleased for you!

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great news.
    Billie

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well merry happy early flippin Christmas! Yay for you.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    That's wonderful!

    I hope traffic improves.

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger aija said…

    Awesome! Congrats :)

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Hooooooooray!!!!! Congratulations! That is fabulous news!

    For what it's worth, I sort of like the commuter thing. It's quiet in the car and I can clear my head. By the time I get home, the day really feels "over."

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    What a RELIEF... I'm so glad. Hope it stays good. Commute sucks, but employment is worth it. Congratulations on your obviously great interview!

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fantasticness!!! :)

    //Gunilla//

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy belated congratulations on the new job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home