The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Upgrade

Remember when this was a knitting blog? No, I don't either ...

Friday I was sitting at my desk at the House of Torture contemplating my fish now that they had finally appeared from behind the filter. Although they seemed to have suffered no ill effects from the failed attempt by the Gourami Hit Team to send them all to the big toilet bowl in the sky, they still weren't acting very "fishy." Arnold, the male guppy, wasn't chasing the females at ALL. If you know anything about male guppies, this meant that either Arnold needed to move to San Francisco and stick a rainbow flag on his fin or he was dead. Neither seemed to be the case. Leslie was hiding in the anachris plant and Sally wasn't doing much of anything.

I mentally reviewed what could possibly be wrong. Decor - had I made a fishy faux pas in gravel choice? Was off white no longer chic? Food? Was the freaking $9.00 jar of food I'd bought not palatable enough? Filtration? Were there too many bubbles coming out of the filter, causing an especially strong current? Did guppies like a high flow rate or a low? I spent a productive 15 minutes scouring the innernets for THAT answer. There was NO definitive answer.

And then it came to me. What was needed was ...

A bigger tank!

Of course! The gang wanted an upgrade. And let me tell you, we're living large now. Five, count 'em, five gallons of space for a little fishy fun and frolic!

In the picture above is Mollie who is actually a dwarf Platy (haha, little fish humor) swimming around, having the time of her life. I got her Friday night to add a little color to the tank because frankly, Leslie and Sally are not what you'd call babes. They're both your usual bland female guppies. I am very pleased with the new tank. It came with a power filter with ADJUSTABLE flow rate, a light that scares the hell out of Arnold every time I turn it on or off (seriously, I have *no* idea what's wrong with that fish) and fits quite nicely on my desk.

The fish and I, we are happy.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Maybe you have hamburger taste fish not filet mignon taste fish?

    Very chic tank indeed!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    I agree with Trek. They're guppies. They are not fancy fishies, sweetie.

    Cool tank.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, maybe I want to be a fish now...

    xoxo
    Agatha

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    I thought you weren't supposed to name fish. In my experience, this never goes well. Fish with names never seem to fare well in my tanks.

    You'll do better. You are invested in the relationship.
    And you have quite the tank there! It's like "Cribs" for fish...

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    Nothing like a little extra square footage, or maybe square inchage or centimeterage is more like it in this case. Plus it's a cool-lookin' pad for them fishies. I'll try not to be envious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home