The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

So Yeah

Well. Here we are again. Back at Chez Insanity. Where there has been knitting. Crazy ass knitting. Knitting to make you lose your mind. Knitting that makes you ask the age old question, "Why the hell would anyone write a pattern telling you to cable EVERY OTHER ROW?!?"

Apparently to make something like this. This is the sweater formerly known as The TomKat Sweater, now renamed The Sweater Of Doom. This is the sleeve. Or rather, part of the sleeve. I was a bit taken aback by the casting on of the 376 stitches for the "peplum" and opted to do the sleeves first. I don't know why there is't any ribbing on this sleeve, it could be that I've read the pattern WRONG AGAIN. I've been working on this sweater for a week now and I've done a whopping 62 rows. This is what happens when you don't really take a close look at the patten before volunteering to make it. It's what happens when you fail to notice that all 4 bars of the skill level required are COLORED IN. This sweater may be finished in time for Vogue Knitting's 50th Anniversary Issue.

However, tonight I decided to take a little break from TSOD. I decided to attempt, once again, what for me is the Holy Grail of Knitting, Fair Isle. Or stranded knitting. Whichever you prefer. However, rumor had it that if you throw with your right hand, that would be me, that it's a pain in the butt. But I came to the conclusion this evening that if I could knit a $^**(& sweater from Vogue Knitting then hells bells I should be able to do Fair Isle.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Finally, I may have gotten it. Finally. This is supposed to end up as a baby hat. Or something like that. I'm too busy watching the colors change to remember.

And because it seems there's some kind of rule that you always have to show the back of Fair Isle, here you go. My lovely little floats, just floating along. Now I need to go do another row, I think it's time for another color change!

9 Comments:

  • At 5:23 AM, Blogger catsmum said…

    I am very impressed with your fairisle. Tend to avoid it like the plague myself but admire other people's.

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said…

    Very nice floats!

    Sorry about TSOD. :o(

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MORE great knitting.
    Hey, do you know Doug? He lives in Canada. Raises sheep. Knits on a sock machine. And has paddocks and stuff. Sounds like your kind of man: http://soxophoneplayer.blogspot.com/ He's a very cool guy.

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Valerie Polichar said…

    W@w. The fair isle, she is fair indeed. Someday I'll attempt that scary shtuff...

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said…

    Wow! Them's some purty floats you got goin' on there!!! Color me impressed.

    The Sweater Of Doom looks rather pretty...hard to believe that's it's all doomy and stuff. Handknits can be tricky that way!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Impressive fair isle knitting!

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger aija said…

    Hey, nice stranded knitting! I do it w/ my right hand too. My left's just for show :)

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Monkee Maker said…

    I'm so impressed by your knitting skills but you lost me at "cast on 376 stitches".

    Are there even needles that long?

    Guess you haven't really got the time to knit a .... ahem .... monkey then.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    I saw that sweater again this morning and tried to talk myself into it, but at my age, I don't think I'd live long enough to finish it.

    Great Fair Isle!

    Showing the back is so we can see how it's really going. Kind of like with cross stitch. The front can be nice, but the back can go either way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home