The Weaving Inn

Home to the knitting world's anti-Finisher. Kind of like the anti-Christ, but with a smaller following.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Hat Factory

Her name is Anna Belle. She lives in South Dakota on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Each day she gets up to tend to the eight grandchildren she has living with her. There are no parents around to help out; they've all left to do whatever people do when they've abandoned their children. Anna Belle wrote to me and told me that she prays to God for the strength to get through each day.

Now I'm certainly not God, but that doesn't mean I can't help Anna Belle out as well. So this weekend I decided to spend my time making hats for each of her grandchildren. I have no idea how many are granddaughters and how many are grandsons but what the heck, I figured I'd just make them in a combination of colors and hopefully everyone will get a hat they're happy with.

That's Lydia, my beautiful hat model in one of the hats I made. If you're good at that counting stuff you'll notice I only have six hats in the picture, I hope to get the other two finished tomorrow.

All of the hats were made from yarn from my stash and are a combination of Red Heart Super Saver and Caron Simply Soft. The pattern is of course Dot's wonderful UBW hat.

I suppose a lot of people would wonder how I could sit around all day crocheting the same hat over and over again. I wonder about a country that turns its back on its Native people.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi April! Welcome to the blogosphere! Well, if you can figure out the source code then more power to ya! I've had a lot of help from my techie hubby, and I've been nursing my blog for a while so it's finally looks the way I want, one little addition at a time. :)
    The hats look terrific! All your pets are adorable! :)
    I'm adding your blog to Bloglines!

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh and BTW, if you have any questions, just make a printout and I'll try and help you at the next Crochet Meetup group meeting. :)
    P.S. I love the name of your blog! Very clever!

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One more thing! Just got your latest comment, and thanks for the invite! I'd love to stop by your group on Thursday but will have to find it first! I'm not familiar with Campbell.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Calisews said…

    The hats are great. I make them in black for my adopted soldiers. Could you tell me what the UBW hats are and where the pattern can be found? Thanks.

    Dianna

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger April said…

    Hi Dianna,

    Thanks for the compliment on the hats. The UBW hats can be found at this link: http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/

    If you scroll down the left side you'll see all the patterns Dot has posted on her site. She's a great designer and her patterns are very well written.

    Take care!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home